Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Now what do I do?
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Now what do I do?

I have more stock problems then Carter has liver pills! Please give me your thoughts.

I have a beautiful grade AH. Never refinished. Beautiful top grade wood. Circa 1890's. Very few minor dings and dangs. Problem: broken wrist. Well repaired long ago but my guess is that it will break if I shoot the gun. So now what do I do without devaluing the gun?

I have no doubt it can be professionally repaired. Problem is that it will have to be refinished and recheckered once the repairs are done if I want them to disappear. I could just have it repaired and not make the repairs disappear. At least I could shoot it.

What hurts the value more: 1) leave it the way it is and not shoot it; 2) repair it and have it refinsihed/recheckered; 3) Just repair it and leave the damage showing?

I thinking a broken stock is always a broken stock so I can't hurt the value by refinishing it but I'm a rookie who probably doesn't know any better so I'm hoping you all can help me before I make a big mistake.

Thanks, Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Jim Kucaba
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ray ... You sound like the kind of guy who would be honest enough to tell a potential buyer that the stock had been broken and repaired, so don't deny yourself the pleasure if shooting such a fine gun ... Have it repaired, made like new, and ENJOY !

"Those who matter don't judge me ... Those who judge me don't matter"
James T. Kucaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Hi Ray!

Please know I'm a shooter - and sometimes collector, so others may have a different perspective, which I'm certain they will share.

If it were my Parker, where the stock is already broken - I'd have it repaired properly. In other words - you can "band-aid" it so it might be safe to shoot, but "band-aids" (read: poor repairs) are just ugly, in my view.

As well, I think a Parker deserves the "best of what we can offer them" - and the old gal sure doesn't want to be an ugly old gal with an improper repair...

So - I'd have it done right. Would the stock ultimately be "refinished"? You bet - but again, it's already damaged (to a non-shooting condition). So, I'd have it done right and enjoy shooting it - and be able to display it with pride.

I say all that given my own personal perspective as to what I'd be inclined to do - but ultimately the decision is yours, of course.

Best to you,

John
John Dunkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Ray, I agree with Mr. Dunkle whole heartedly...His logic( in this instance at least ) is sound.
Unread 11-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

Contact David Trevallion in Maine, one of the very best at this kind of repair in the business.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
...I agree with Mr. Dunkle whole heartedly.......
Thanks Dave!!!
Quote:
...His logic (in this instance at least ) is sound.
Yea, my Doctor told me "today is a good day for you John - your meds are working.."...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Contact David Trevallion in Maine, one of the very best at this kind of repair in the business.
I second that - but, I had heard that Dave is very backlogged right now (and yes, he *is* one of the best in the business)... If that's the case - we might have to come up with a "Plan B" for Ray, presuming he want's to go that route?

Best to you,

John
Unread 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Sorry John..I just could't resist...

Anyway Plan B for Ray is Stock Fixers I have heard very good things about these guys.... stocks@ruralfree.net

Or Plan C The Stock Doctor..Dennis Smith He has done some very good work fo me....thestockdr@riflemag.com
Unread 11-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Sorry John..I just could't resist......
Well - next time - just resist that urge...

Quote:
...Anyway Plan B for Ray is Stock Fixers I have heard very good things about these guys.... stocks@ruralfree.net......Or Plan C The Stock Doctor..Dennis Smith He has done some very good work fo me....thestockdr@riflemag.com
I have heard good things about them as well - but I don't have any direct experience. That being said - I do know another guy near me who does stock repairs (and builds custom stocks that are simply wonderful) "by referral" only, and depending on what Ray decides - can put them in touch.

Best to you Dave!!

John
Unread 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Sorry John..Its just not in my nature to resist... But I can take it too
Unread 11-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

So I guess no one thinks fixing it will hurt value. My thoughts too. Thank you all for such prompt replies.

I think I'll try to have it fixed without refinish. If it good ok, I'll leave it alone. Otherwise I'll have it refinished. I will contact the referrals.

Thank you all again! Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote