Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #21
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Pretty neat!
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 03-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #22
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

Yesterday, I finished our club pattern board and shot a pattern with my 40" Davenport with a ten to twelve chamber gauge. I used my 1 1/4 ounce #4 1175 fps lead load left over from pre-notox days and shot at about 48 yards. I shot another pattern with my 7/8 ounce #8 1175 fps loads. Either load was astounding in its coverage and density. I think that "slow" is best for pattern density and uniformity. I'm almost out of the #4 loads.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

sounds like you got a good turkey gun bill...i had some friends that only ysed low brass no 7 1/2 lead shot on turkey...they killed lots of turkeys with those shells..they also would not shoot a turkey past 35 steps...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The recently sold (actually 1914) Annie Oakley connected Model 11 Remington with protruding gold sights, pictured in a recent Doublegunshop.com thread has helped immensely with the Annie Oakley provenance on the Gold Hearts gun. I have no plans to promote this provenance in an article, because I have not found a picture with Annie holding or shooting the gun. As Annie Oakley students know, pictures of Annie with identifiable guns are very scarce, especially shotgun pictures. Her available pictures are very few and have been copied and sold extensively and it seems nothing much new has surfaced in the last few years. The Gold Hearts gun was built at the end of Annie's public life, a few months after her famous train accident, and it is doubtful that it was used in any of her shows. It was possibly used in the 1902 Grand American Handicap where she is known to have shot a 30" Parker of identical or near identical weight of the Gold Hearts gun. Unfortunately, pictures of Annie at competitive shoots in this period are about non-existent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #25
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I saw a B grade Parker in VA about 1906, it was being handled by Green's Guns and it had been shipped and broken through at the wrist, not insured. It was claimed to be an Annie Oakley gun shipped for him to sell. Anyone know anything about what happened to it? I believe the price on it was $12,000 which was way out of my price range at the time.
Also, I looked for the Double Gun Journal, August, 2007, looking for the gold heart gun but you were talking about the Parker Pages article but the "Parkers At The End Of The Rainbow" article by Daniel Cote and Hershel Chadick" is in the August, 2007 DG Journal. One of the best Parker articles I have ever seen with A1's pictured in all gauges.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes, as Dean mentioned in his post, the pictures were in The Parker Pages, not The Double Gun Journal. The Parker Pages would be the place to look. Maybe Green's Guns could provide information on the B grade gun.
Unread 04-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #27
Buddy Marson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Alfred, I bought that gun from Chuck in 2010. At the time of purchase there was no mention of Annie Oakley. My research found Annie owned the B Grade made just prior to mine. Her serial number was 117432 and mine is 117495. I had the gun restocked by Dennis Smith.
Buddy Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #28
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,346 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
The recently sold Annie Oakley connected Model 11 Remington with protruding gold sights, pictured in a recent Doublegunshop.com thread have helped immensely with the Annie Oakley provenance on the Gold Hearts gun. I have no plans to promote this provenance in an article, because I have not found a picture with Annie holding or shooting the gun. As Annie Oakley students know, pictures of Annie with identifiable guns are very scarce, especially shotgun pictures. Her available pictures are very few and have been copied and sold extensively and it seems nothing much new has surfaced in the last few years. The Gold Hearts gun was built at the end of Annie's public life, the month after her famous train accident, and it is doubtful that it was used in any of her shows. It was possibly used in the 1902 Grand American Handicap where she is known to have shot a 30" Parker of identical or near identical weight of the Gold Hearts gun. Unfortunately, pictures of Annie at competitive shoots in this period are about non-existent.

Thanks Bill. I found this article about the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show train wreck in which Annie was hurt.

https://www.ourstate.com/buffalo-bill-wild-west-show/
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 06-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #29
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

To clarify, Annie's Remington Model 11, well documented, had gold balls at the breech, identical to the gold balls on the Damascus barrels of the "Gold Hearts Gun". The documentation of the "Gold Hearts Gun" as Annie's gun is about complete. Frank Butler ordered a Parker days before the "Gold Hearts Gun" and that gun was shipped within days of the shipment of the "Gold Hearts Gun". Apparently, both Frank and Annie had new Parkers delivered in time for the 1902 Grand American at Live Birds, the last GAH at live birds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #30
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy
I think that "slow" is best for pattern density and uniformity.
I totally agree. I am a big proponent of low velocities for shotgun loads.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: