Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #11
Romac
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great Cover!
Unread 06-22-2022, 09:03 AM   #12
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Milk cans. Maybe one used for cream after separation. Either that or pistons for the old John Deere 😵*💫
Stan guessing you must be a youngster compared to some of us.
Here’s a milk can story. Think I might’ve been about 8 years old. Somehow I had come into possession of a one dollar bill. Had it all balled up in my hand and wasn’t about to let go of it. Then came lunch. My uncle did up his own bacon and that was served. I had never tasted bacon like it. Figured something was off so I shook a bunch of salt on it. Even worse. Got told it didn’t need salt because it was already heavily salted bacon. So I reached behind me to pass the bacon to an eager dog but in the process that balled up dollar left my hand. Dog didn’t get it. It dropped into a full milk can with no lid on it. I’m desperately trying to figure out how to retrieve my prize. While others were in the midst of lunch conversation I slid my hand into the can and stirred around a bit. No dollar. I went deeper up to my elbow and felt the balled up dollar. Retrieved it with no one the wiser. Wiped my arm on my pants and tucked the dollar in a pocket. I may not have washed my hands before lunch and I may have gathered some eggs and shovelled some manure before as well. I decided I wouldn’t bother with a glass of milk from that can.

Just realized that national Sportsman magazine will be 100 years old in a few weeks.
Unread 06-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

great storey about that dollar bill...I don t think many of us worried about washing our hands in those days....in high school we went to a milk factory...first thing we saw was a man pulling the lids off the milk cans as they came into this room he smelled each can...I asked our guide what was the purpose of him smelling the milk can he said to see if the milk was still ok or not....I asked him what if he had a cold and his nose might be stopped up he replied lots of bad milk would get bottled up for us to drink....this was how the milk company tested their good or bad milk each day back then...true storey....I think about this some times as I drink some milk...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

he tried a breach loader a few years later, sans beard

Unread 06-22-2022, 01:05 PM   #15
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,132 Posts

Reminds me of my days living on a farm in the country. Any hawk that came near a chicken coop was called a chicken hawk, no matter the actual species, and was shot on sight.
I watched an elderly uncle blast a circling hawk outta the sky with his ancient Auto-5, yelling "Dang chicken hawk!"
Back in those days, the survivors of the great depression did not debate with varmints that messed with the family food resources.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2022, 08:08 PM   #16
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronkhite
Stan guessing you must be a youngster compared to some of us.
May be, Jack. I'm only 70. Raised on a farm, have farmed all my adult life, but never saw milk delivered, or kept, in a big can like that. Thanks for the explanation. He must have had several milk cows, eh?
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2022, 10:20 PM   #17
Mark Britton
PGCA Member

Member Info

On my farm where three springs come out of the ground together, you can still see the channel that was dug out to store the milk cans. The Pillows had a dairy farm. Mr Pillow who I never knew was a veteran for the south in the civil war. His daughter Mary was like a grandmother to me.I can still see and hear her in my mind playing the piano and singing Dixie to the top of her lungs. I'm only 61
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Britton For Your Post:
Unread 06-23-2022, 07:37 AM   #18
JAMES HALL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Check out the spilled bucket at his feet.
JAMES HALL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JAMES HALL For Your Post:
Unread 06-24-2022, 09:20 AM   #19
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Great cover, Jack. Thanks for sharing it with us.

If that is the shot pattern on the end of the building, under the hawk and chicken, he sure missed badly! I'd say his gun has way to much drop for hawk killin'.

And, what in the heck is that in the background, on something like a sawhorse, that appears to be five or six canisters leaning outward?
I think if you look closely, the building is his greenhouse, and he has shot the glass out. It looks like you can make out the inner frames and some plants through the opening.

I am 72 and can remember as a kid in Eastern KY dairy farmers sitting milk cans beside the road every morning for the dairy truck to come by and pick up. These were small farms where they milked by hand. There were always several of the large cans and one or two 2 or 3 gallon cream cans. Just a few years later in the early 60's the state required refrigerated milk tanks. My Dad (a local builder) built several of the milk houses for the few big dairies that stayed in business. The switch to large farms, automated milkers and chilled milk tanks, and the disappearance of local milk trucks with glass bottles all seemed to occur at the same time here.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 06-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,230 Times in 12,375 Posts

This one’s 22 1/2 gallons. Found next to an abandoned dairy barn in Maine 55 years ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEBD51EC-8C64-4413-9964-40D70742748C.jpg (536.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 274FB016-DBA9-4E45-B463-ED80CFFCBD77.jpg (525.5 KB, 1 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: