Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #21
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,348 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I’ve loaded bismuth in all gauges from 10 to 28 . I use the same load I use for lead in each gauge . And I load the standard weights 1 1/4 for the 10 , 1 1/8 for the 12 , ounce for the 16 , 7/8 for the 20 and 3/4 for the 28 . In the past I used to weigh each shot charge now I drop the 10-12 and 16 from the loader for the 20/28 it’s quicker to use a dipper and hand fill as coarse shot bridges terribly in the 20 and 28 drop tubes . Plus I rarely load more than a box or two of bismuth at a time .
Are you saying you are simply substituting bismuth for lead?
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2022, 06:49 PM   #22
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

The only reliable source of smallbore non-toxic shells I'm aware of currently is Boss, but they're waterfowl loads so not the kind of powderpuff shells you boys seem to prefer.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #23
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharysmith View Post
We need to get Boss shotshells on board with making some lighter pressure loads. I have asked them a few times over the years to consider it. Heard about a year ago that something was in the works but nothing since. I hear great things about their shells.
They have been available from BOSS for at least a year and a half, now. Though they're not listed on their website BOSS sells copper plated bismuth loads that are loaded with fiber wads, as opposed to plastic shot cups. That helps lower the pressure to the 8000+ psi range. The only drawback to that, if it is indeed a drawback, is that the fiber wads open patterns somewhat as compared to the plastic shotcup higher pressure loads. My testing has shown that my HE Fox, and my LC Smith 3E gun, both choked mid to upper 40 thousandths, pattern the lower pressure duck loads in the 67 to 70 percent range.

I've got a bulk case (200) of both the lower and the higher pressure loads on hand and, along with my stash of bismuth shot for reloading, and NICE shot loads on hand, it should be enough to last me my lifetime (but I hope not ).
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 06-23-2022, 08:27 PM   #24
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

A significant issue at the present time that makes reloading 20ga bismuth difficult is the fact Remington SP20 wads are not currently available. If you go on the Hodgdon On-Line Reloading Data Center you will see that almost every 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce loadings of bismuth calls for that wad. There is no telling if we will ever see that wad in production again with the Remington bankruptcy and Vista buyout.

Personally I would not have a problem taking a 7/8 ounce lead recipe and substitute the same volume of bismuth shot. It should be close to 3/4 ounce and from what I have read substituting bismuth in the same volume NOT weight will yield a similar pressure. If you are concerned about that approach you can have the load tested.