Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

The Vintage Nontoxic Ammo Quest: 20 Gauge
Unread 06-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default The Vintage Nontoxic Ammo Quest: 20 Gauge

Realizing that everybody has been in the same boat, altho the gauge may vary, for a LONG time, and this is no doubt a hopeless question, has anyone had any luck finding 7 or 8 shot (or even 6), bismuth or tungsten, or ?, for vintage SxS's? Have been watching, like many others, RST for a couple of years now and doesn't appear that any 20 gauge relief is in sight. Am interested in ammo for snipe and woodcock in particular, but ruff's also. Have used some Kent Upland when I could find it, but would like a little gentler load. Any insight, or suggestions appreciated
MIKE FISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKE FISHER For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE FISHER View Post
Realizing that everybody has been in the same boat, altho the gauge may vary, for a LONG time, and this is no doubt a hopeless question, has anyone had any luck finding 7 or 8 shot (or even 6), bismuth or tungsten, or ?, for vintage SxS's? Have been watching, like many others, RST for a couple of years now and doesn't appear that any 20 gauge relief is in sight. Am interested in ammo for snipe and woodcock in particular, but ruff's also. Have used some Kent Upland when I could find it, but would like a little gentler load. Any insight, or suggestions appreciated
Mike, I’ll be interested to see any response you get. You’re not alone in your quest.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

I bought a flat of 20 gauge RST a couple of weeks ago. Not bismuth though. RST has had various gauges available from time to time, you just have to watch their website and buy it when they have it. I have bought a flat of 28 gauge as well. And I noticed not long ago they had 16 gauge #6 shot available. I guess what I trying to say with way too many words is that if you watch their website frequently you can find it. I have way more 20 and 28 gauge than I need.
Unread 06-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Reggie,
Yours is actually an incredibly helpful reply to me, as I've been ckg RST for a couple of years now, altho not frequently, and thot I was wasting my time. Their site wording never seemed to change and I assumed they never had anything. Letting me know that it's worth more frequent cks is an important bit of info. THANKS!!!
Unread 06-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Reggie,
Yours is actually an incredibly helpful reply to me, as I've been ckg RST for a couple of years now, altho not frequently, and thot I was wasting my time. Their site wording never seemed to change and I assumed they never had anything. Letting me know that it's worth more frequent cks is an important bit of info. THANKS!!!
Like Reggie, I picked up RST shells recently whenever they had them (and I check regularly). I also got some at Hausemann's and on the second day, they said I could buy as many boxes as I wanted. For a while, they had some non-toxic shells on their web site, and I bought some of those, too. I don't have many 20 or 16 non-toxic shells however, and there are places in Iowa and OK that we hunt where no lead is allowed...so I'm still hoping to score some of those. I am ready for ducks with non-toxic 12 gauge RSTs for this Fall...and with as little duck hunting as I do, my stash will probably last me several more years...thank goodness. Now, if only I can last that long.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #6
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

BPI has 20 gauge paper Cheddites in stock and various 20 gauge wads, rotometals has bismuth in all sizes in stock just need to find your choice of powder which is probably the hard part though gunbroker usually has any powder if you want to pay a premium.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Like Reggie, I picked up RST shells recently whenever they had them (and I check regularly). I also got some at Hausemann's and on the second day, they said I could buy as many boxes as I wanted. For a while, they had some non-toxic shells on their web site, and I bought some of those, too. I don't have many 20 or 16 non-toxic shells however, and there are places in Iowa and OK that we hunt where no lead is allowed...so I'm still hoping to score some of those. I am ready for ducks with non-toxic 12 gauge RSTs for this Fall...and with as little duck hunting as I do, my stash will probably last me several more years...thank goodness. Now, if only I can last that long.
Thanks Gary; Hausemann's was not my source list, but will be now.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKE FISHER For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
BPI has 20 gauge paper Cheddites in stock and various 20 gauge wads, rotometals has bismuth in all sizes in stock just need to find your choice of powder which is probably the hard part though gunbroker usually has any powder if you want to pay a premium.
Good point, Milton. I've actually been thinking about starting to reload bismuth, but I'm sort of an "indifferent" reloader. By that I mean that I hate to readjust my press and so for the last many years I've only reloaded AA's (plus I like them, altho I like working w/the old AA's WAY more than the new!). I [I]really[I] don't want to "complicate" my life by adding a bunch of different components, altho if commercial vintage bismuth availability doesn't improve, I may have to compromise my simplicity! I am considering the few bismuth recipes available for AA's, altho as you know there aren't many; and a bigger problem for me is that they tend to be hotter than the RST Nice Shot loads and I like to keep the pressure low in our (wife & I) vintagers.

I'm setup for reloading vintage pressures for lead, so I'm OK there, altho my wife doesn't want to shoot lead except at the skeet range. In the past her shooting was limited enough that I could keep up w/here thru RST, but that's fast coming to a close.
Unread 06-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #9
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you can reload lead you might reload bismuth with minimal hassle. Suppose you bought a roll crimper and used this for your bismuth hunting loads, wouldnt have to change the reloader around (the fussy part anyway). Testing a few could corroborate the general assumption that roll crimps may lower pressure and bismuth will raise pressure to arrive at a happy medium. 20 ga no tox that is safe in old guns and with low pressure and velocity is a small market. Boss is also worth investigating.
Aaron Beck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Good point, Milton. I've actually been thinking about starting to reload bismuth, but I'm sort of an "indifferent" reloader. By that I mean that I hate to readjust my press and so for the last many years I've only reloaded AA's (plus I like them, altho I like working w/the old AA's WAY more than the new!). I [I]really[I] don't want to "complicate" my life by adding a bunch of different components, altho if commercial vintage bismuth availability doesn't improve, I may have to compromise my simplicity! I am considering the few bismuth recipes available for AA's, altho as you know there aren't many; and a bigger problem for me is that they tend to be hotter than the RST Nice Shot loads and I like to keep the pressure low in our (wife & I) vintagers.

I'm setup for reloading vintage pressures for lead, so I'm OK there, altho my wife doesn't want to shoot lead except at the skeet range. In the past her shooting was limited enough that I could keep up w/here thru RST, but that's fast coming to a close.
I know what you mean by keeping things simple, same reason I havnt bought a vintage 16 ga double Im already reloading for 2 "obsolete" gauges adding a 3rd to the mix starts to sound like work . Roll crimping may bring pressures down on those published bismuth loads, you can always have Precision Reloading pressure test them if you wanted to go that route. A straight walled hull should generate lower pressures as well but im not familiar with the AAs or their design. Another option would be to get some gauge adapters 20 to 28 ga and run the Boss Bismuth they in theory should produce less pressure in the bigger 20 gauge bore.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post: