Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 06-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #31
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,041 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I didn't reread the entire thread, but "This is a pigeon gun". I will wait for further comment.
That's the first mention I have heard of a Pigeon gun. I have never run across mention of such a model in the catalog reprints I have access to. In fact, I found no listing for any high grade single barrels. From the address on the barrel, this is one of the two high grades they made at the time. It is true it has no safety, but being a single I don't know if that would be an indicator. It was my belief that all pigeon shoots at that time used a two shot rule to down the birds, precluding a single. I that was not the case, it may well be. I would be puzzled by the cylinder bore barrel however. From the condition of the gun,measurements and examination of the bore, I believe it was made this way.

I still believe it was sold as an all around gun someone in the northeast US could use for small game, decoyed water fowl and deer or bear with ball or buck. The chambering/choke would be amenable to all of these.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2022, 06:42 AM   #32
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,853 Times in 4,747 Posts

Two shot Hurlingham rules came later than the big bore pigeon gun era. The big bore era started in the UK during the percussion period. The latest Holt's auction has several guns from the big bore era. I think choke was not heard of at that time. Holt's does a good job of identifying a "pigeon gun" versus regular sporting guns.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2022, 07:23 AM   #33
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,526 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
Long drive. I live in Lexington KY, not VA.
I think he meant Alexandria KY just south of Cincinnati.
Unread 06-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #34
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sorry Mike. For some reason I had read your posts and always thought you were from Virginia. Old man brain phart.
Unread 07-01-2022, 04:51 AM   #35
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
Sorry Mike. For some reason I had read your posts and always thought you were from Virginia. Old man brain phart.
It’s understandable. Virginia copied all our great cities names.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 07-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #36
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Two shot Hurlingham rules came later than the big bore pigeon gun era. The big bore era started in the UK during the percussion period. The latest Holt's auction has several guns from the big bore era. I think choke was not heard of at that time. Holt's does a good job of identifying a "pigeon gun" versus regular sporting guns.
Good information. I didn't know about the timing of the rule change. Just in the last 2 days, I took another look at the catalog from 1872, then at the book (can't remember the author; don't have it with me) that is a history of W&C Scott. Pertinent facts from combining both sources, some of which I remembered, were that:

1)Scott, while they would build whatever you wanted, only listed three qualities of guns, designated A, B, and C in 1872. The Premier designation for top grade and special guns was introduced a few years later. A and B quality guns were the only ones that carried the full London Castle Rd. address. The more common guns were labeled just London. I am inclined to believe by the engraving, wood and rib address that this is a B quality gun,

2)Scott recognized 5 classes of shotguns. Basically Upland, Light Upland, Pigeon, Waterfowl and Light Waterfowl. I am sure they always built guns for these purposes, but the actual designations according to the history were implemented in 1876, I believe. Technically, there were no designations at the time the gun was sold. Collectors often classify guns on a retroactive basis, even though they didn't exist at the time of manufacture. Sort of like the use of the Daly Empire and Superior tags applied to guns made decades before the designation was implemented by the company.

3)Most telling, I was showing the gun to a visitor last night and took a closer look at the engraving. I used a good light and magnifier and examined it carefully. I noticed that the only engraving on the gun was floral style engraving, except for a small figure under the hammer pivot on the lock plate, It turned out to be a well executed figure of some sort of retriever coming out of the water carrying a duck dangling from it's mouth. Careful reveals that the duck even has a ring around it's throat.

To me, that was the tipping point. It can't be a coinsident that the only non-floral piece would be a retriever with a duck instead of a pigeon in flight or something similar. I am going with a light waterfowl style of gun. This would make sense for a gun sold along the seashore of New England where waterfowl hunting over decoys was a major sport.

Of course, that's just my guess.

None of this explains the fact of a single barrel style mentioned neither in the company full catalog from the year of manufacture nor the history book of the Make.
Unread 07-01-2022, 11:04 PM   #37
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Art, what is engraved in the oval on the trigger guard? I can't make it out. Thanks.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2022, 01:29 AM   #38
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well, I'm glad you asked that. When you di, I got the magnifier out again and it turns ou it too is a duck. I had always thought it was a forest scene of some sort with a tree trunk to the left and a plant to the right. Turns out it is oriented longitudinally and is a duck taking off over what appears to be a swamp scene.

You'll have to give me a little leeway here. I had cataract surgery on both eyes over the last few weeks, and i have made some real visual blunders over the last few years. My vision is now much, much improved but I have just today recieved a new prescription for the modified eyeballs so within a week or two I may have normal vision for the first time in a long while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: