Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-07-2022, 06:24 PM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,583 Times in 3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
You are a wealthy man in that you have the experiences each of these gave you, keep them in the Bank of memory and i hope you have the oppurtunity to make each of them you're go to gun again. I have 5 grouse guns and every year it is a fight with myself to use them all and i rarely succeed.
Daniel, I can tell you understand what I'm trying to say. A gun becomes special for what you and it go through together and the privilege you have in carrying it. Craig's reference is a good example as is the way Phil regards his Stevens.

Can you share a photo of one of those 5 grouse guns? I'd love to see one.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2022, 06:33 PM   #12
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,428 Times in 1,647 Posts

Garry the weird thing about the hunt with the AH Parker was I was by myself in one of the slow blinds in our marsh. My partner couldn't hunt so it was just me and Lucy my lab. Just before dawn a pair of mallards came overhead and I killed the drake with one shot, Lucy retrieved the duck a ways back in the cattails . A couple of minutes later 50 mallards were over my pond and I killed a drake. Lucy made short work of that duck. A couple of minutes later another 50 mallards and blacks are over my pond, I killed two drakes with two shots. I line up Lucy for the retrieve and she keeps looking off line from the two mallards I have marked. Lucy goes left on my back command and she would not take a whistle. Lucy swims around the corner of the pond and picks up a big black duck drake (always believe your dog!) a willy I had not seen. After she picks up the black the two mallards were retrieved. I was done before 7am and back at the landing before 7:30am. For an old duck hunter it doesn't get any better.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
Garry the weird thing about the hunt with the AH Parker was I was by myself in one of the slow blinds in our marsh. My partner couldn't hunt so it was just me and Lucy my lab. Just before dawn a pair of mallards came overhead and I killed the drake with one shot, Lucy retrieved the duck a ways back in the cattails . A couple of minutes later 50 mallards were over my pond and I killed a drake. Lucy made short work of that duck. A couple of minutes later another 50 mallards and blacks are over my pond, I killed two drakes with two shots. I line up Lucy for the retrieve and she keeps looking off line from the two mallards I have marked. Lucy goes left on my back command and she would not take a whistle. Lucy swims around the corner of the pond and picks up a big black duck drake (always believe your dog!) a willy I had not seen. After she picks up the black the two mallards were retrieved. I was done before 7am and back at the landing before 7:30am. For an old duck hunter it doesn't get any better.
My experience duck hunting is very limited, and even more limited with a good retriever. I love to watch a good, well trained dog do its thing. I would have paid to watch your lab on the morning you describe. To have a special gun to complete the gun-bird-dog triumvirate is something to remember. Hunting with a good friend is great. Hunting alone with your dog is equally so. What a nice memory.
Unread 04-07-2022, 07:05 PM   #14
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,463 Times in 969 Posts

What a great post Garry. You're suffering from a Truly First World problem, good for you! Other truly first world problems include dropping your cell phone in the hot tub, the 911 getting a flat, and your Leica has a light leak. I can't shoot all my pieces, but my Ithaca single shot 20g lever action with buck barrel has not been shot in 40 years. It took my first woodcock, first grouse, first squirrel and first cardinal on my neighbors bird feeder (that didn't go so well). I will never sell her. I'd dig her out for a photo but it's nothing to look at : )
Unread 04-07-2022, 07:35 PM   #15
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

Garry one is in my avatar, a 20 ga. repro q1&2, an a grade fox 16 choked cylinder and improve, a Sterlingworth 16 imp. &mod., Parker 1 frame 12 imp&mod.and a Baretta 20 imp.&mod. Now that i think of it there may be a few more that will do the job but are rarely called on. As far as photos i was going to say that you could put me in the category of a well known poster on this forum but i did post one of my Remington hammer gun 4 years ago and of some just hatched woodcock and have yet to catch on to the method.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Garry one is in my avatar, a 20 ga. repro q1&2, an a grade fox 16 choked cylinder and improve, a Sterlingworth 16 imp. &mod., Parker 1 frame 12 imp&mod.and a Baretta 20 imp.&mod. Now that i think of it there may be a few more that will do the job but are rarely called on. As far as photos i was going to say that you could put me in the category of a well known poster on this forum but i did post one of my Remington hammer gun 4 years ago and of some just hatched woodcock and have yet to catch on to the method.
I like your avatar very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
What a great post Garry. You're suffering from a Truly First World problem, good for you! Other truly first world problems include dropping your cell phone in the hot tub, the 911 getting a flat, and your Leica has a light leak. I can't shoot all my pieces, but my Ithaca single shot 20g lever action with buck barrel has not been shot in 40 years. It took my first woodcock, first grouse, first squirrel and first cardinal on my neighbors bird feeder (that didn't go so well). I will never sell her. I'd dig her out for a photo but it's nothing to look at : )
Andy, my wife often asks, "What's your problem?" Now I know and will tell her. I'll not explain it, though. Not in my best interests. And if you ever meet her (BTW, she is of Italian descent, and I'm sure you both would have lots in common -- especially cooking), don't bring this up.

If you're ever out this way, bring your Ithaca. You can shoot deer from my deck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #18
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,463 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Andy, my wife often asks, "What's your problem?" Now I know and will tell her. I'll not explain it, though. Not in my best interests. And if you ever meet her (BTW, she is of Italian descent, and I'm sure you both would have lots in common -- especially cooking), don't bring this up.

If you're ever out this way, bring your Ithaca. You can shoot deer from my deck.
Thank you for the invite Garry! Hope to meet you (and your wife of superior ethnic origins...) I'm hoping our 13 year old daughter will use the Ithaca someday for a deer, she's waiting on a new 20g youth gas gun now to lighten the recoil for skeet and sporting clays. Out of three kids she's the only one with interest, so who knows if she'll end up with a pile of Parkers someday.
Unread 04-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #19
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,894 Times in 2,685 Posts

" One is a 10ga AH Parker show gun that I killed 4 drake mallards and one black on my first hunt with the gun with 4 shots, 5 ducks."

Craig, at first I read your post and the thing that popped into my twisted mind was that this was a blend of an AH Fox and a Parker Bros!! Then the proper synapses fired and I realized you had an A grade hammerless.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 04-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #20
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,894 Times in 2,685 Posts

I have two firearms that I used a lot originally and haven't shot either in a loooong time. First is a Stevens (315 or 311, not sure which) in 16g that was my Pappy's go to bird and bunny gun. The only thing I did to that gun was add a recoil pad to give more LOP. Shot many a dove, bunny and rooster with that gun. The second is one I remembered I had from reading "I have this old gun..." in the March issue of American Rifleman. It's a Winchester 67A. Single shot bolt .22LR that also was my Pappy's go to chuck gun. He's walk the perimeter of the farm every evening, spring-summer-fall with that old rifle. I guess I have to take at least one chuck with it this year so it doesn't feel lonely.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!