Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 09-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #41
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Thank you Bruce!
Unread 10-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #42
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Andy,
Your dog is stunning, I have a brittany, but those setters just belong in a painted picture.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #43
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you Ed. Back from her very first outing on grouse in Maine. Daytime temps in the high 60's, bone dry, little breeze, very tough. But she pointed a few grouse, a few woodcock and if I did my part it would have been better. We had to rotate dogs every 30-45 minutes but overall she did very well for her first foray on wild birds. Now to keep her on birds birds birds...
Unread 10-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #44
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

I love October, but the weather can play havoc with your hunting. It still sounds like you had a decent outing with your pup. Count your blessings.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #45
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Thank you Ed. Back from her very first outing on grouse in Maine. Daytime temps in the high 60's, bone dry, little breeze, very tough. But she pointed a few grouse, a few woodcock and if I did my part it would have been better. We had to rotate dogs every 30-45 minutes but overall she did very well for her first foray on wild birds. Now to keep her on birds birds birds...
Andy: Take your time and enjoy the hunt and most certainly the dog. Kill numbers are not important here. Its the whole adventure for you and pup. Your new at this so take your time and experience this new outdoor adventure together. At 75 I still remember my early days with my Dad, listening to him and watching what he did and how he and the dog worked together.... yea, I wanted to be a killer then, but soon learned about the whole experience.... To this day I thank the creator for the experience and the game provided.....

EDIT: I would suspect, with a Decoverly setter you could loose that electronic neck gear and just let the dog hunt for you.... Put a good bell on the dog....

Just me talking...
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Hering For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #46
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hering View Post
Andy: Take your time and enjoy the hunt and most certainly the dog. Kill numbers are not important here. Its the whole adventure for you and pup. Your new at this so take your time and experience this new outdoor adventure together. At 75 I still remember my early days with my Dad, listening to him and watching what he did and how he and the dog worked together.... yea, I wanted to be a killer then, but soon learned about the whole experience.... To this day I thank the creator for the experience and the game provided.....

Just me talking...
Bruce, I'm not new to bird hunting. I shot my first brace of woodcock and a grouse at 16 with an Ithaca 37, that was 41 years ago. I'm only new to Parkers and Pointers. I've always run Labs. They always put me over a tremendous amount of game, I just can't keep up like I used to with them. I've found out in a few short weeks how different those two types of dogs can be. This Setter has captured my heart for sure and I'm enjoying it. She pointed last night solid on something right next to my barn. A woodcock flitted away and I looked down at my empty broken open VH 16, just 50 yards from my house. Dumb me.
Unread 10-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #47
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Bruce, I'm not new to bird hunting. I shot my first brace of woodcock and a grouse at 16 with an Ithaca 37, that was 41 years ago. I'm only new to Parkers and Pointers. I've always run Labs. They always put me over a tremendous amount of game, I just can't keep up like I used to with them. I've found out in a few short weeks how different those two types of dogs can be. This Setter has captured my heart for sure and I'm enjoying it. She pointed last night solid on something right next to my barn. A woodcock flitted away and I looked down at my empty broken open VH 16, just 50 yards from my house. Dumb me.
Andy: Bad punctuation, sentence structure on my part... meant to be read, new to the pointing dog thing..... all else applies...... That includes, load your gun.... LOL

My bad for not making that clear.... sorry
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #48
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hering View Post
Andy: Bad punctuation, sentence structure on my part... meant to be read, new to the pointing dog thing..... all else applies...... That includes, load your gun.... LOL

My bad for not making that clear.... sorry
No worries Bruce! I'm enjoying the learning process.