Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 07-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Mr. Brown, That reminds me of something Jonathan Foster told me about his grandfather, William Harnden Foster, who also sold a certain .410 in order to help in the costs of higher education for his children.
At least it went for a very honorable cause.

Dean
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Fire In The Hole, Fred?
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Fire In The Hole, Fred?

Yessir- a controlled burn and then the regrowth are great tools for the farmer/land owner that wants to maintain good game cover and habitat- I have about 17 acres on a bend in the river=house and buildings are on the high ground of course- but about 9 acres is in a 100 year flood plain area- wet and mucky- lotsa mallards nesting there in the Spring- we cut brush and tree limbs over the years and pile them down there for winter game cover- we see deer, turkeys and rabbits quite often- BUT when I hunt waterfowl, I am about 2 clicks downstream from where I live and there aren't any houses built there (YET)--

But my real ace-in-the hole is all the area farms I have developed over many years- once a friend asked me why I would help a farmer cut wood, pull fence posts and my specialty- do welding jobs- and I told him that when a farmer/landowner gives you permission to hunt/shoot on his property, he gains very little from that deal, you benefit (unless you do something really stupid and screw it up- has happened to others I know) so time spend working with (and drinking coffee with also) farmers, etc- is time very well spent for those of us who love to hunt- Farmers are the most honest and hard working folks the Good Lord ever put on the earth!

Last edited by Francis Morin; 07-31-2010 at 10:33 PM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Ditto for the farmers observation. They cultivate the land and I "cultivate" the farmers. Time spent in conversation, time spent over a cup of coffee, time spent lending a hand yields time spent in some of the best bird habitat one can find. Over the years, I have changed one farmer's mind about hunters after inadvertently ending up on his land. It was "big sky" country with occupied homes many miles apart. He was annoyed and I was apologetic. When the air cleared, there was a pot of coffee shared and many a before sunrise breakfast to keep the energy up while taking some of the largest roosters to be found in that locale. He is no longer there but the memories remain. The best yet started two years ago, with nothing more than just being courteous and friendly. As a result, I somehow ended up being the only guy allowed to hike along a couple miles of winding creek that is full of pheasants. He has a decade on me but will wander along with an old single shot, just in case. I share the harvest with him and his wife makes a darn fine chili to boot. When the weather closed in last year in late December, he offered shelter for the night if I would be unable to make it to maintained roads. I made it out but the offer was highly appreciated. Yep, a few kind words go a long ways in life.
Cheers,
Jack
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Francis,

"Smells like victory" That was pretty nice don't here much of that wish all shared your ideas. Most that come out here hunting act like they own the country and if you stop to ask them if they have permission to hunt there (you now they don't cause its your own ground) they look at you like what does that dumb farmer want muttering words under there breath. I probably shouldn't say this because i'm not a marine but i say it with the uat most respect for the service "SALUTE" to you Francis ch

Yes, Jack a little bs and a few kind words well get you a long way.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calvin humburg For Your Post:
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
Mr. Suponski: Thanks, I'll enter it, although I'm a little confused as to which month the contest is for....
Hi James..! Imagine how I feel, as I'm the guy running the POM Contest..??!

Outstanding picture!!!

My Best Always!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

John, A suggestion here...Why not just do the contest for the month of August?
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Recoery

Well, it's been three months since I burned my 30 acre "playground" to the dirt. You just can't keep a good field down. The switch is back thicker than ever, 6' to 7'; and, the blue stem (my favorite) is coming in at 7' to 8'. The food plots are doing great with the sunflowers at about 30% bloom and the seed sorgam headed out. The seven or eight volunteer apple trees are producing. I watched a nice eight point saunter by the north end of the food plot about an hour ago. Autumn is coming and the colors will be beautiful and life will be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Field 7-31-10 001.jpg (2).jpg (271.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Field 7-31-10 003.jpg (2).jpg (189.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Field 7-31-10 004.jpg (2).jpg (222.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Field 7-31-10 005.jpg (2).jpg (192.8 KB, 3 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote