Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member and of course questions on what I have
Unread 07-16-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
Joe Barlow
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member and of course questions on what I have

Hi Folks!

Let's start with what I know and that's debatable just ask my wife!

This shotgun has been in my family for at least 100 years. I do remember my Grandfather taking it out hunting in the late 60's, do not recall if he got anything.

It is a well loved and used gun as any other tool on the farm no one ever thought of guns as collectable but rather a tool of necessity but a beauty none the less.

Made in 1887, it is a quality "T", Top action Hammer Gun, 12 Ga., Plain Twist Barrels and 30" length

I see these grades called AH, BH, CH etc... where does this fall into or is it just a T grade?

Would be happy to gather any and all info I can about it as I really do not know anything else other than above info from the gun letter from the group.

Is it collectable? what value does it have price wise?

Thanks so much in advance and looking forward to whatever I can learn from you folks!

Joe

parker10.jpg

parker5.jpg

parker9.jpg

Parker.jpg

parker8.jpg
Joe Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Barlow For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Welcome!!

It is a heavy Grade-0 on the 1-frame that has no collector value and even if you restored it it still wouldn't be worth as much as it would cost you to do so.

The T between the crescents on the barrel flat is the stamp for Twist or twist Steel barrels. As you know, it has seen some heavy use but could still be shootable. It is highly recommended to have the barrels checked for anything that would prevent safe shooting, such as severe pitting, dents, walls thinner than what is accepted as 'safe to shoot with low-pressure loads."

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #3
Joe Barlow
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, Dean, for the information! What kind of value does it have if I were to try and sell it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Barlow For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Joe Barlow
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Welcome!!

It is a heavy Grade-0 on the 1-frame that has no collector value and even if you restored it it still wouldn't be worth as much as it would cost you to do so.

The T between the crescents on the barrel flat is the stamp for Twist or twist Steel barrels. As you know, it has seen some heavy use but could still be shootable. It is highly recommended to have the barrels checked for anything that would prevent safe shooting, such as severe pitting, dents, walls thinner than what is accepted as 'safe to shoot with low-pressure loads."

Thanks, Dean, for the information! What kind of value does it have if I were to try and sell it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Barlow For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I'm not really qualified to assign a value to other folks' guns.

Unread 07-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #6
Joe Barlow
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I'm not really qualified to assign a value to other folks' guns.

Thank you for your honesty, Maybe someone else will reply with some kind of value or worth so I at least have some kind of starting point should I decide to go that route
Unread 07-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Hello Joe , It's always nice to have an Old Family Heirloom so in that sense Its a Dandy Old Parker ,otherwise it is as Dean described ! And also as Dean said most of us don't like to put a price on other folks guns ,with that said ,I have had good success selling over the years on Gun Broker if you give an honest description and start your ad at a Penny the gun will usually bring whatever todays Fair Market Value / Price commands and sometimes surprises you ! The reality is it is not as you mentioned a C Grade ,B Grade or an A Grade so it is what it is a nice Old Utility Field Grade gun and the selling price will not make any change to your life style ,for sure ! I have my Grand Dads old Winchester Model 37 which we all know has zero collectability and only a few hundred dollars in value but I enjoy owning it just because it was Paps ! Just something to ponder ! Good luck with it whatever you decide to do , you could also consider making it the first Parker in your collection and adding a couple of those A, B or C's to it !
Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
Joe Barlow
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
Hello Joe , It's always nice to have an Old Family Heirloom so in that sense Its a Dandy Old Parker ,otherwise it is as Dean described ! And also as Dean said most of us don't like to put a price on other folks guns ,with that said ,I have had good success selling over the years on Gun Broker if you give an honest description and start your ad at a Penny the gun will usually bring whatever todays Fair Market Value / Price commands and sometimes surprises you ! The reality is it is not as you mentioned a C Grade ,B Grade or an A Grade so it is what it is a nice Old Utility Field Grade gun and the selling price will not make any change to your life style ,for sure ! I have my Grand Dads old Winchester Model 37 which we all know has zero collectability and only a few hundred dollars in value but I enjoy owning it just because it was Paps ! Just something to ponder ! Good luck with it whatever you decide to do , you could also consider making it the first Parker in your collection and adding a couple of those A, B or C's to it !
Russ
Thanks Russ! very thoughtful and insightful response and it definitely gives me the direction I was hoping to find.
As I have some health issues I am thinning the herd so to say, and have no one in my family to pass it on to but have decided where it will go. I do not want my wife to have to deal with the mounds of items I have both in the firearms and tools and may as well get things done now.
Again thank you and to others that have shed light on this for me, hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Joe
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe Barlow For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I wish you better health Joe!

Unread 07-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Good Morning Joe , Sorry to see your inquiry is because of a health issue !My house will be Praying for you and yours !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post: