Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Who are the shootingest SxS folks???
Unread 07-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,023 Posts

Default Who are the shootingest SxS folks???

I have three friends who have 21s they NEVER shoot them because "They only made 33,000 of them...very rare...too rare to shoot." No joke. Just wondering which AMERICAN SxS is the most often shot/hunted/used gun out there? I have a half dozen Parkers, damn are they just FUN to shoot whether I hit or not. Shot a 21 Duck two weeks ago...meh. Sold two LC Smiths, but nothing against the gun, they didn't fit. So the question, without offending anyone, which US made SxS "collector" guns get in the dirt and powder most often? I am proud of my meager Parker "field" collection because they're just damn fun.
Unread 07-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

I would say parkers first then fox thenlefeverand then the lowly stevens...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,023 Posts

LC?? Lots of them out there.
Unread 07-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,160 Times in 3,644 Posts

I like and have owned a veritable pile of O/U’s , still own a couple . But about all I shoot anymore are Parker’s and an IJ . Have some Smith’s and Fox’s but rarely touch them other than to wipe them off with a silicone rag . Same can be said for the Brit and euro guns in my saves .
Unread 07-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,292 Posts

Great question, but I'm not sure that beyond conducting a comprehensive survey, a reliable answer could be found. Frankly, I have some representative samples from most American makers, and I shoot them all. (I've never been tempted by the 21, though.) They were all made to be shot.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Nothing but Parkers for me these days.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 07-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,160 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Great question, but I'm not sure that beyond conducting a comprehensive survey, a reliable answer could be found. Frankly, I have some representative samples from most American makers, and I shoot them all. (I've never been tempted by the 21, though.) They were all made to be shot.
I’ve never owned a 21 either . But as of last Saturday I’ve seen two that tempted me . The first was a pre war I think 16 gauge skeet . The second I saw this past Saturday at a shoot , it was a very sharp looking 28 gauge Model 21 !
Unread 07-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,128 Times in 2,440 Posts

While I started wingshooting with my Mother's RANGER double (a J. Stevens) and then in 1960 got a Winchester Model 50, since 1963, the great bulk of my hunting has been with Ansley H. Fox doubles. But I have used them all -- Ithaca, Parker Bros., Tobin, CSMC RBLs, Remingtons (including pumps, autoloaders and over/unders as well as their doubles), Husqvarna, Browning Superposed and A5, Winchester Model 12/42s and even a bit with an L.C. Smith. I can't remember ever hunting with any of my Lefevers or Winchester Model 21s. Opps just remembered two more -- Eusebeo Arizaga H & H sidelock and I won a 12-gauge Beretta A-303 Sporting Clays with an extra 3-inch barrel which I used on a Sea Duck adventure in the pouring rain on the Chesapeake Bay.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #9
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,193 Times in 1,189 Posts

Brands of S X Ss on hand are Fox, Remington, San Georgio, Parker, L C Smith, BSS, FAIR, Dickinson, Yildiz, Montgomery Ward, and Isaac Hollis. I use the Foxes the most because I have more of them, and have used them for many years. My go to mallard gun is my Fox HE and my go to quail gun is my 20 ga. Fox Sterly Ejector. The DHE 16 ga. Parker with the 32" barrels, in 16 and in 20, may become my go to dove gun. If it does it will be the vintage gun that gets used the most, as I shoot doves much more than anything else.

But, if this shell shortage doesn't ease up in another year I may be forced to use whichever gauge/make gun I have shells for.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #10
Mark Britton
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don't own a 21 but I got 4 Brownings big ol bulkey box lock action , Whats the difference ?
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote