Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry, I am very disappointed in you. Signed, Wilkes "The Quail Dog" Kaas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilkes Point 1_resize.jpg (102.4 KB, 29 views)
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #22
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

OK Destry, were waiting for a report of today's hunt
Derrick Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Today was another mighty fine day though my shooting was markedly poor. We started off with cranes same as yesterday, but they didn't much wanna play. We had a pair get about 50 yards and, though "The Preacher" is very capable of such distances, operator error failed to bring one to bag.

We stayed at it for awhile but they were all flying high so about 9ish we left off and headed for Mearn's Quail territory. Phil wasn't lying when he said it was going to be a pretty piece of country. High mountainous ridges surrounding a long valley filled with oak and mesquite trees, criss crossed with rocky dry creek beds.

Let me tell you boys, we covered some ground today, thankfully the brandywine like air kept the fat boy together. We hunted over hill and dale, through gullies and meadows, up and down back and forth for several hours.

We had quite a few tense moments and found quail sign nearly everywhere but just couldn't get to grips with them. Finally, just before sunset as we were coming off the last ridge, the young dog pointed right in front of us. But before we had time to even realize it, the covey was up and away. I managed two quick shots but even Dad's old gun couldn't provide enough help to make me connect on that kind of chance. They headed straight for the bushes, I made a fine shower of leaves on my first shot and my second I don't even know. We hit the brush again chasing singles and I managed to miss two more wild flushing birds in the thick stuff. Tough shots, but I should have killed at least one, I was pretty disappointed in myself needless to say.

But what a grand day even if we came home birdless, what a fine piece of country to be carrying a gun in. We found half a dozen patches of scattered deer bones where mountain lions had made kills, I saw ravens flying the thermals overhead, I picked up pieces of white quartz off a hillside and imagined finding a vein of gold running through them. We chatted with a rancher that was headed to check a lion kill with the roughest looking pack of coursing dogs I ever ran across.

Phil left me at the bottom of the hill as he headed to get the truck after our last pass through the quail cover. I took a seat on a piece of lava rock just as the sun touched the hills. I can't remember when I was somewhere so quiet. No tires whining on a highway, no cel phones ringing, nobody but me and the wind for just those few minutes.

Tomorrow it's another quick try at the cranes then off to another stretch of desert around Douglas, AZ to see if I can't miss a Gamble's Quail. The fat duck hunters legs and lungs are holding up surprisingly well even though I'm sure Phil is being pretty easy on me as far as cover goes.

Regards,
Destry

P.S. to Dean: I don't see a grouse dog in my future anytime soon. Though I did have a bit of grouse hunter sympathy today after the first couple hours without a solid point. Those Mearn's Quail proved almost as elusive as those ruffed legged birds you all seem so fond of. But I'd go after them again in a minute. I told Phil at dinner I was almost (that's almost) glad we didn't get one today. Gives me an excuse to come back......
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Destry - A big slap on the back for hangin' in there and giving it all ya got.

Those legs and knees are gonna kill you tomorrow.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Nice description Destry. Any day afield with a gun in country such as that is indeed a glorious day, bird to bag or no. I warned you about those cranes, eh? There's no more wary a waterfowl as them. Now you know why I loaded my 12ga front loader to 8ga equivalent when I hunted them in Nome 29 yrs ago now.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #26
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Clear skies this morning and no wind, so the cranes were flying in the stratosphere. We watched the first few groups cross and never even bothered setting the decoys. It was 24 degrees at daylight, I didn't think it got quite that cold here.

Took off to another area and made a few stands for coyote. Phil is quite the predator caller and kills a ton every year. I was hoping to get a shot with my 10 gauge but was in the wrong place at the wrong time. We had one come right in but we were on separate sides of a mesquite thicket and it came to Phil's side. He had a snap shot with his Winchester 25-20 lever action but missed I'm sorry to say.

After that we headed off to Tombstone for a bite of lunch and so I could say I'd been in the famous town. Quite the tourist trap these days but the waitress at the Crystal Palace Saloon was a voluptuous beauty, and they even had Pabst Blue Ribbon on draft. I was in love for about as long as it took to eat a buffalo burger and slake my thirst.

While in Tombstone we discovered that I'd left the tail gate down and my $100 Muck Boot Company swampers and Phil's dove bucket had fallen out on the rough roads. So we headed back the way we'd come, stopping for a try at some Gamble's Quail around a high ridge but had no luck. But we got got lucky, found everything we'd lost after a turn around the ranch roads and had a good laugh about it.

We still had some daylight left so Phil suggested we try a valley he knew nearby that held some Mearn's Quail. Unfortunately our bad luck (as far as quail went) continued to hold and we never saw a feather though the dogs worked hard trying.

Tonight it was a big Mexican dinner at a local spot and a few drinks. I'm a trifle sore and stiff, have a few cactus thorns stuck in various spots, and a knee and shin are a bit banged up from a tumble I took down a ridge. I feel great, I'm coming back next year if they'll have me!

I want to extend a public thanks to Phil and his lovely wife for putting up with me for half a week. I really had a great time and am ready to try it again as soon as possible. I'm praying for more rain this spring and summer so the quail population peaks up a bit.

Headed home tomorrow in the AM, off to bed.......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #27
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

No cranes! That's too bad. I was hoping you'd get to taste one. Guess I'll have to bag some up here next year and bring some down for you....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #28
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Destry, It was a pleasure hunting with you. Birds did not cooperate as we had hoped but there is always next year. Enjoyed the camaraderie, stories and all of the laughs. Lets pray for rain here in AZ, a big storm they say is on its way. Winter rains = Desert Quail, Summer rains = Mearns Quail.
Hope the trip home was uneventful.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #29
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry, your Crane Quest turned out like your Curlew Quest. Off tomorrow to spend the week at Beaver Dam in lovely Tunica, Mississippi. Let's hope the ducks don't prove as eloosive as dem cranes was...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote