Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,206 Times in 12,371 Posts

I've just sent an e-mail to the man who will fix the problem.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Made up for the poor shooting today-with a little luck added in. Managed these birds with 3 shots. Got a double on the green heads first thing, moved over to another pond and caught the geese up in a narrow marsh, they had to come at me to exit, both came down dead with the first shot 15-20 yrds.
First band of the year.

Francis I reload Bismuth and Nice shot.

1890 NH 10ga. 32" full and fuller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0754.jpg (61.1 KB, 27 views)
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E Robert Fabian For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

Nice!!!!

You guys and all these bands are just killing me. *gloom*

It took me till my next to the last hunt of the season to kill one last year.

I'm over 50 ducks and 8 or 10 geese but still no jewelry.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Parker Doubles Pin
Unread 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,074 Times in 170 Posts

Default Parker Doubles Pin

Dean, I had the same "torn envelope and no pin" happen to me, also. A small padded envelope should correct the situation. Hopefully, the correction can be made before more pins are lost the US Postal service! Bill
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Received an e-mail last evening from both Art and Jennifer. The problem has been rectified and all pins, including replacements for those lost in the sorting machine, will be or have been sent in padded envelopes.

Thanks Art and Jennifer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Getting "Pinned" courtesy of Dean Romig
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Getting "Pinned" courtesy of Dean Romig

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;6427]Received an e-mail last evening from both Art and Jennifer. The problem has been rectified and all pins, including replacements for those lost in the sorting machine, will be or have been sent in padded envelopes.

Thanks Art and Jennifer--- Thanks. Dean, for following through on this minor glitch--Now I have to ask about your book- Bare November Days? I may be getting a trade copy for my B'day from my daughters- has your deluxe edition that went "AWOL" at the Vintagers about 4 weeks ago ever surfaced? I sure home so- as I wasn't there and don't know the circumstances, I'll refrain from further comment. But I will add that the 1948 era M12 Pigeon Grade Trap gun in my gun safe will never command "top dollar" if I were to offer it for sale- the previous owner, back in the era when the M12 "ruled the roost for ATA" had seen if "lifted" a few times from the line gun rack-stopped the "lifter" and reminded him that you "always ask permisssion before picking up another gentleman's shotgun"- back then some shooters used the printed out tape with their name, usually on the front area of the forearm- he took it to an area jeweler and had his full name engraved in big block letters on the left (back) side of the receiver- still there, clear as daylight!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

It hasn't turned up yet. I suspect the person who accidentally brought it home with him still hasn't unpacked all his stuff yet, else he would have discovered his error. There's still hope...

Just takin' the high road here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Wow- A "Two-Fer" on Mallards- Mama mia
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Wow- A "Two-Fer" on Mallards- Mama mia

[QUOTE=E Robert Fabian;6400]Made up for the poor shooting today-with a little luck added in. Managed these birds with 3 shots. Got a double on the green heads first thing, moved over to another pond and caught the geese up in a narrow marsh, they had to come at me to exit, both came down dead with the first shot 15-20 yrds.
First band of the year.

Francis I reload Bismuth and Nice shot.

1890 NH 10ga. 32" full and fuller-- Nice old 10 bore Parker, Sie. I notice you use a slip-over pad, as I do on some of my waterfowling guns as well (no 10 gauge YET) - as I value gun fit and performance over "correct period pads"-then in the later season, wearing heavier clothing, I can remove the pad if necessary for proper fit- also, the LOP that might work (for me) shooting out of a field pit blind from the seat or a crouch, might not be right on the same shotgun, when I use it for pass shooting where I do better standing--I recall Gene Hill's story about the late shotgunning legend Rudy Etchen- how Rudy arrived w/o a shotgun at a duck hunting club, borrowed a pumpgun and used tape and something else to get it to fit him properly- and no doubt, was the high gun for that day-

What hulls do you use to reload your 10 gauge non-toxic waterfowl loads? I am going with a friend tomorrow (Sat 31st.) AM to hunt a flooded cornfield- we have had a very wet October so far here in West MI- the big storm front that dumped snow in CO and WY is moving our way- all bodes well for some flight birds- He had a LC Smith Hammer 10 with 32" Royal (proof steel) barrels and wants to start using it. Tomorrow I will probably leave the GHE at home and take a "weather gun" instead- we shall see. Wow- 4 birds/three shells- both Geese down with one shot in the "boiler room" as judged by the blood on the chest feathers= My old duck hunting mentor once told me that if you have a dead bird in hand (cripples being finished off included) for every three shells you have fired, you are in the "big leagues"--He mainly hunted Geese and puddles- not divers- On those Mach 3 ducks, I'd say maybe one bird for four shells expended--just my guess!!!
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use Federal hulls to reload the ten, they are available at Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading. I made a hull trimmer that is simple and quick, someone from the PGCA forum told me about it. I also have Sherman Bell's recipes if needed.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E Robert Fabian For Your Post:
Parker Pin arrived today (Nov 4th)
Unread 11-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker Pin arrived today (Nov 4th)

Thanks to all on this thread who got the change in shipping the doubles pin in effect. Mine arrived today along with the very nice letter from Art Wheaton (Thank you indeed Art for that, first class all the way)- and in the padded envelope many of you had suggested be used to avoid loss or damage. Jennifer also sent me a confirming e-mail, all things that make being a member of the PGCA a very worthwhile endeavor, whether you own one Parker or more than one--

Today was another good waterfowling day, overcast all day, 40's, not the wind we had on Saturday 10/31- but a morning hunt, then lunch and coffee with the farmer friend/host-- then a second farm en route home- ended up with two nice Canadas, which are headed for the Veteran's Day game dinner and pre-deer hunting banquet (MI gun season opens on Nov. 15- regular as the mail)-- they'll be slow roasted stuffed with sauerkraut and apple slices and served with potatoe pancakes and a chestnut and bread crumb stuffing- Also took three Greenheads, one had a band on each leg, have never seen that before.

I can't claim a double on any of those birds I took, and I used a Model 12 3" Magnum with No. 2 Federal steel loads-I am going to take the 12 GHE on Friday Nov 6th- for a preserve pheasant hunt- but if I should get a chance for a true "pair in the air" on planted birds with the Parker, I won't claim another pin- first of all, one is enough- it's going on my old L.L. Bean camo duck hunting cap with the long visor- I've had it for maybe 40 years and it is a "good luck" cap for me- Secondly, and nothing against preserve or planted birds, but from my point of view, the doubles pin should be based on native game birds and migratory birds in season and taken fairly- We don't have a dove season here- I would guess taking a true pair of doves pushed by a tailwind, or snipe from a pushboat, or a pair of divers straffing the decoys would be "Top Shelf" performance- also, in my experience, even with a 12 bore, pheasants can be "die-hards" and I'd rather use the second barrel for "insurance"- but if another member gets a double on preserve pheasants, I'll cheer him or her on, even buy the first round after the hunt- Good luck to all-