Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #21
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,159 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
...I think a full choked 28 is fine for pheasants up to almost 40 yards....
It's interesting you say that, as this AM I had a rooster crossing about 35 - 40 yards out, but didn't shoot as I didn't want to risk crippling the bird with a 28 GA..? Later, in thinking about it - I probably should have taken the shot, as I had a hen riser about 25 yards out and she crumpled with one shot...? I dun'no - the more I shoot this little 28 - the more I really like it...

Best to you!

JD
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

I don't know how I ever wrote a whole thread about my 28 Parkers when I could have been talking about Bourbon whiskey. I am a bit on the tight side when it comes to Bourbon, probably because I was in the business for 29 years and know almost as much as my friend Harry C. does about how it is made and what is good and bad. Does anyone remember how George Herter made his Jack Daniel? He recommended that we take the cheapest, nastiest Bourbon we could buy, Town Club or Ten High, add a good slug of powdered sugar, shake it up and put it in a JD bottle. I love a bottle of boutique bourbon as well as the next guy, but prefer to take a good bottle of more common stuff on a hunting or gun buying trip. My best Bourbon drinking buddy, now ready to turn 93, likes Ezra Brooks. What do you think of old Ezra? I believe it is just a name bottled by Heaven Hill but does anyone know what they put in the bottle?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #23
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

John, a good bird shot would just recommend that you shoot far enough ahead of a crossing pheasant that you don't put any shot into the body. That's easily said but not so easily done. Last season, I was in a good pond blind and some geese came in real close. I was shooting my favorite ten, picked a goose and body shot him. I was shooting with a couple of guys I had just met who were real waterfowlers and was embarrassed to have taken such an easy shot in the body. As a way to apologize to my new hunting companions for my poor judgement, I said "Dammit, I shot him in the ass." The fellow sitting next to me turned to me without smiling and said, "Yup, you shot him in the ass." Later I redeemed myself by saving an escaping goose at about 90 yards that one of the fellows probably hit a little light. I took him on my second shot but I still felt like I had paid back the body shot at 30 yards.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #24
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

Bill,

I've killed a lot of geese and I always feel good when they fall no matter where they're hit. It's nice to bust ones neck at 30 yards but if I center him in the pattern he's just as dead. *wink*

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #25
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

John,

What size shot were you shooting?

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #26
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,159 Times in 824 Posts

Hi Harry!

I was loaded with Federal 28 Gauge Premium (wing-shock) #6, 2-3/4, 3/4 oz (which is about a 1300 fps load, I think??)... As this was in my 28 Repro - I had no hesitation about using a modern load...

What are your thoughts??

Best to you - and thanks!!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Jay,

I have not had Old Pogue and I would not be adverse to try it. The truth is I don't care what horse I ride so long as I get there.

I drink the good stuff neat most of the time, but a real treat is a silver cup filled with crushed ice and a very good bourbon.

Harry
I am not quite there when it comes to drinking my bourbon neat. Guess I need to work on that "skill." Good thing hunting season has just started.

Cheers
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I use a VHE 28 with 28 inch bbls choked skt/skt for Pheasants (both wild and preserve), Grouse, Woodcock and Quail. The Quail are alas preserve birds and I only use the 28 when a certain friend isn't letteing me use his VHE 410 skeet gun

Bill I have sampeled Izra Brooks and its not bad stuff still no Jack Daniels or Makers Mark however. I'll stick to what I know best which is JD and prefer the Gentalman Jack and REALLY prefer Singel Barrel but at $40+ a fifth those outings are few and far between.

Back to the 28 I usually shoot std skeet loads for everything but Pheasants and for them I have some B&P 3/4 oz 6's.

Jay what were you drinking when you moved 100 Grouse?
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #29
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Water, Rich. Lots of water. Had to make sure I was not dreaming.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #30
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

John,

That sounds like a cracker jack load. I load 7 1/2 shot for most all on my shooting, but would jump up to #6 shot for anything larger than dove or quail. My father loaded 8 1/2 shot in his 28 gauge for clays, dove and quail. I'm just not that good a shot and rely on the few odd pellets to kill. Would you hesitate to shoot your fast load in a 100+ year old Parker? Out of deference to the wood I might, but after all of Sherman Bells research I am inclined to shoot anything off the shelf through these old guns Damascus or not. Bruce may have gotten away with steel through a Damascus gun a few times and I got away with it through a stout VH for a season when the laws changed, but I would not recomend it.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote