Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Miles View Post
Oh well there's always whiskey to drink.
Dave, that reminds me of my first weekend of 'grouse camp' this season - I always thought I was a 'dyed-in-the-wool' Jack Daniel's man but I was introduced to some fine sippin' likker by a local feller. Morton's Reserve as I recall . . . very, very nice

I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Jay, you wouldn't be hunting some of the areas that we hit last year would you. I plan to try an make a one day run up there. At my property a friend of mine was staying last weekend and moved a few grouse and six or eight woodcock without a dog and that was just around the cabin... I need to get up there. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
Jay, you wouldn't be hunting some of the areas that we hit last year would you. I plan to try an make a one day run up there. At my property a friend of mine was staying last weekend and moved a few grouse and six or eight woodcock without a dog and that was just around the cabin... I need to get up there. Eric
No. I have not been back there yet this year. I thought I would save that in case you and I could get together for another hunt. This Saturday is out but I may be able to get there on the 25th. Interested?
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
;)
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,158 Times in 823 Posts

Default ;)

If a repro counts.. From today - a little 28 GA... While I usually use a 20 - I'm liking the 28 more and more for the NE woods...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006_1.jpg (182.5 KB, 26 views)
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

It certainly works for me, John. As much as I would like to own an original Parker 28 I just can't see spending that kind of coin for a gun that I'll use the hell out of in the grouse woods. I really enjoy my 28 ga Repro and use it often, especially early in the season.

BTW: had a chance to handle that 28/30 at Jaquas last week. It is a very nice gun but whomever cut off the SSBP needs to be smacked silly but not as badly as whomever did the crappy job of splicing the SSBP back on.
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Dave, that reminds me of my first weekend of 'grouse camp' this season - I always thought I was a 'dyed-in-the-wool' Jack Daniel's man but I was introduced to some fine sippin' likker by a local feller. Morton's Reserve as I recall . . . very, very nice

I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick
I had a run in this past weekend with a bottle of Blanton's. Yikes. I used to be a Jack-man but then I discovered Buffalo Trace.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

I've been shooting my 28" modified and full VH for 50 years this hunting season. I've never used anything but 3/4 ounce loads, but the chokes make up for lack of shot. I've never felt undergunned. However, when I used to shoot Southern Maryland quail as a teenager, I know I missed many close birds because of the tight chokes. My only experience with my new 26" cylinder and full straight grip VH was last year on off season field trial leftovers. We had some nice close pointed birds in the bag, when I took a desperation left barrel shot on a bird that had not been shot at. She was curving around a little stand of trees about 40+ yards out and I fired as she disappeared. Just on a whim, we walked toward the point at which I last saw the bird. I was a bit proud when one of the dogs came up with the dead bird right where I knew she would be. It's nice to have a hunting partner to witness a shot like that. I haven't patterned my old gun since I was in high school, but I patterned the new gun shortly after I got it home. The .020 left barrel just tears the middle out of the paper at any reasonable bird shooting distance. I think a full choked 28 is fine for pheasants up to almost 40 yards if the shooter knows what he is doing.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Jay,

Blanton's wins all the tast test on most all such comparisons nation wide. Buffalo Trace is the old Cream of Kentucky recipe and is made at the same place as Blanton's. Elmer T Lee is very modestly priced and I think is nothing more than Blanton's rejects and is what I drink on special occasions. Another wheeted bourbon fron this distillery is WL Weller 12 year old Special Reserve. Very modestly priced and a real treat to the tongue if you can find it.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harry,

Thanks for the tips....I think I'll have to hunt some down. One of the things we tried with Blanton's was to twist a mint leaf and drop it in the glass before adding ice and the hootch. Very plesant and lightened it up a little.

Where does Old Pogue fit in to the food chain? Took a bottle of that to deer camp last year and found it spicy but still smooth.

Cheers,

J
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Jay,

I have not had Old Pogue and I would not be adverse to try it. The truth is I don't care what horse I ride so long as I get there.

I drink the good stuff neat most of the time, but a real treat is a silver cup filled with crushed ice and a very good bourbon.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote