Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Hunting with Mod/Full Chokes
Unread 07-08-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
David Hansen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Hunting with Mod/Full Chokes

I just acquired my first Parker. 1926 16 Ga, 28” barrels, choked Mod/Full. Primary plan is to use it hunting pheasants. Any suggestions on making the gun more versatile? I want to leave the gun in original condition. Looks like spreder shells will help if I can find some. Have people found that choke combination to be much of a drawback? Thank you
David Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
Dylan Rhodes
Forum Associate

Member Info

a couple questions:

1. Are you hunting over pointing dogs?
2. Are the birds released or wild?

I regularly hunt with Mod/F and even F/F for released birds over a pointing dog in PA. I find that they are slow as molasses and I have plenty of time to get the gun lined up the way I want to deliver a well-placed shot. I have had less success with this choke combination on wild birds without a pointing dog, but it can still be done. Spreader loads work pretty well, but they are usually only available in 7-8 shot anymore, at least commercially. I wouldn't want to take 7 shot on wild birds, but it does the trick on released. Spend some time at a clays course with it, I think you may be thinking its harder to hit things with those chokes than it really is.
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2023, 04:41 PM   #3
David Hansen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Rhodes View Post
a couple questions:

I regularly hunt with Mod/F and even F/F for released birds over a pointing dog in PA. I find that they are slow as molasses and I have plenty of time to get the gun lined up the way I want to deliver a well-placed shot. I have had less success with this choke combination on wild birds without a pointing dog, but it can still be done. Spreader loads work pretty well, but they are usually only available in 7-8 shot anymore, at least commercially. I wouldn't want to take 7 shot on wild birds, but it does the trick on released. Spend some time at a clays course with it, I think you may be thinking its harder to hit things with those chokes than it really is.
I hunt behind my pointing dogs for wild and released birds. My thought was the chokes will be fine on wild pheasants. I prefer a little tighter choke on them. Debating whether to try it this fall on a Maine grouse trip and on the prairies chasing sharptail and huns. Will likely stick with my 28 ga for quail. Tempted to give it a whirl on all the larger birds, and just have my 12 ga choked Imp/Mod as a back-up. I’m intrigued with the logic behind a M/F choke set-up, so hunting without spreder loads to start is appealing. Just curious what others have experienced. Thank you.
Unread 07-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #4
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,667 Times in 2,628 Posts

I hunt with F/F and M/F for all upland birds. Never missed a bird because I had "too much choke". I did turn a mudbat into a gooey feather pillow once though. I do make spreader loads for hunting in the 20, 16 and 12. They're good for mudbat and early season grouse for the right barrel. If we're into a mudbat flight I'll load a spreader in both barrels so I don't destroy the birds. I load the spreaders with 9, 10 or 11 shot.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 07-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #5
David Hansen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Rhodes View Post
a couple questions:

I hunt behind my pointing dogs for wild and released birds. My thought was the chokes will be fine on wild pheasants. I prefer a little tighter choke on them. Debating whether to try it this fall on a Maine grouse trip and on the prairies chasing sharptail and huns. Will likely stick with my 28 ga for quail. Tempted to give it a whirl on all the larger birds, and just have my 12 ga choked Imp/Mod as a back-up. I’m intrigued with the logic behind a M/F choke set-up, so hunting without spreder loads to start is appealing. Just curious what others have experienced. Thank you.
Unread 07-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

I shoot skeet and trap competitively for quite a few years . But I shot skeet more , so I used to be of the opinion that you needed very open chokes for dove quail grouse . And when I started shooting the bullshit game (sporting clays) . It didn’t take me long to realize M&F IM&F as well as F&F actually increased my confidence on not only clay targets but feathered ones as well . Now I’ve shot a boatload of targets/birds over the last 45 or so years .
Unread 07-08-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
David Hansen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I shoot skeet and trap competitively for quite a few years . But I shot skeet more , so I used to be of the opinion that you needed very open chokes for dove quail grouse . And when I started shooting the bullshit game (sporting clays) . It didn’t take me long to realize M&F IM&F as well as F&F actually increased my confidence on not only clay targets but feathered ones as well . Now I’ve shot a boatload of targets/birds over the last 45 or so years .

Great advice everyone. Thank you for your help. Can’t wait to take this gun out this fall. I can see why folks love Parkers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Hansen For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2023, 10:42 PM   #8
Jim Beilke
PGCA Member

Member Info

Pardon my ignorance, I have only been hunting birds for 65 years. What the hell are mudbats?
Jim Beilke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Beilke For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2023, 10:58 PM   #9
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

Woodcock

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2023, 01:00 AM   #10
Heff
PGCA Member

Member Info

My progression as a bird hunter over the years.
Early me, open chokes larger shot for wild birds.
Middle aged me, tighter chokes with smaller shot for wild birds.
Older me, gun fit is more important than choke or shot size up to certain ranges.
The center of the target is the same regardless of the choke or shot size.
Shoot a gun that shoots where you look!