Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 09-05-2022, 09:32 PM   #21
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Oh, no! More inspiration... I'll wait until you report on your hunt before I even think about reloading for .410
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 09-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #22
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

I consider 37 steps a long shot for a .410, with any load. Well done!

I have been insulted, chastised and belittled for using a .410 on game birds ......... dove, quail and woodcock. I don't do it to get attention. I do it to prove a point (to myself), which is this. Density and pellet energy is what kills game birds, whatever the species. If I can, by choosing the appropriate choke, create a pattern at a maximum distance that has the same density as a larger gauge using a more open choke, what's the diff? A no. 8 lead pellet out of a .410 has exactly the same energy as a no. 8 pellet out of a 12 gauge, at the same velocity. The number of those pellets on target determines the outcome. Tighter chokes put more pellets on the target (density), IF ....... you can hit the bird with the smaller pattern.

The other side of the deal with .410s is that so many of them are super-lightweight, which changes the dynamics of handling. Shooting one enough builds muscle memory, which is remembered by the subconscious when the gun is shot at game. Some of the best shooting I've ever done with a .410 on game birds was with a Yildiz 28" barreled S X S that was gifted me by a friend. A $489 gun. The little thing has an aluminum alloy action and weighs 4 lbs. 14 oz. Don Amos spun it on his turntable many years ago, at my request, and found that it had basically the same MOI as a 12 ga. English "game gun", because of how the weight in the little Yildiz was distributed, in the butt and in the barrels, with very little in the action.

I am a bit enamored of .410 double guns. I have five. And, I love them all. Lord, help me.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 09-06-2022, 06:00 AM   #23
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

That tungsten is deadly
Unread 09-06-2022, 08:59 AM   #24
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
I consider 37 steps a long shot for a .410, with any load. Well done!

I have been insulted, chastised and belittled for using a .410 on game birds ......... dove, quail and woodcock. I don't do it to get attention. I do it to prove a point (to myself), which is this. Density and pellet energy is what kills game birds, whatever the species. If I can, by choosing the appropriate choke, create a pattern at a maximum distance that has the same density as a larger gauge using a more open choke, what's the diff? A no. 8 lead pellet out of a .410 has exactly the same energy as a no. 8 pellet out of a 12 gauge, at the same velocity. The number of those pellets on target determines the outcome. Tighter chokes put more pellets on the target (density), IF ....... you can hit the bird with the smaller pattern.

The other side of the deal with .410s is that so many of them are super-lightweight, which changes the dynamics of handling. Shooting one enough builds muscle memory, which is remembered by the subconscious when the gun is shot at game. Some of the best shooting I've ever done with a .410 on game birds was with a Yildiz 28" barreled S X S that was gifted me by a friend. A $489 gun. The little thing has an aluminum alloy action and weighs 4 lbs. 14 oz. Don Amos spun it on his turntable many years ago, at my request, and found that it had basically the same MOI as a 12 ga. English "game gun", because of how the weight in the little Yildiz was distributed, in the butt and in the barrels, with very little in the action.

I am a bit enamored of .410 double guns. I have five. And, I love them all. Lord, help me.
I feel the exact same way Stan, only about the 28ga. To me, the perfect gun for 90% of my clay/game shooting.
Unread 09-06-2022, 01:46 PM   #25
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

I am going back out Thursday afternoon. This time with a new to me 0 frame VH 16. I have high hopes it is going to be a good one. Our friend claimed he had 700 birds with more coming every day.
Unread 09-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #26
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

mills it sounds like your going to have lots of fun with that many birds...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #27
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

I have my fingers crossed that they stay put. Will definitely have a report.
Unread 09-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #28
Dean Weber
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,165 Times in 206 Posts

Default More to dove hunting...

I hope I am not hijacking this thread but here are couple pictures of the hunt. BTW, this field produced about 750 doves taken on a 5 day hunt. It will now be the site of a threshing exhibition/competition in the near future. Best!

Unread 09-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #29
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Nice looking field, Dave. The only thing I can see that might improve it is more cover non the edges for the shooters to hide in. I'm a nut for having a good camouflaged "hide".
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2022, 09:36 AM   #30
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Weber View Post
I hope I am not hijacking this thread but here are couple pictures of the hunt. BTW, this field produced about 750 doves taken on a 5 day hunt. It will now be the site of a threshing exhibition/competition in the near future. Best!

So, Dean, what was in those fields? BTW, I love the skies in those photos. Ya get some time to appreciate nature while waiting for birds.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote