Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Need repair on win model 42
Unread 08-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
Kyle Ramage
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Need repair on win model 42

Hello All, Hopefully this is the correct "place" to post this. My father-in-law gave my daughter a Winchester Model 42 from 1939. It shoots fine and will "shuck" empties just fine. But when it is loaded and one pushes the "button" and tries to shuck/unload the live rounds it will not. Does anyone know who could repair this issue or if it is a simple fix? I build railroads, but I am not sure about my abilities as a gunsmith. The gentleman who used to repair my guns is 82 and retired and I live in the black hole known as SE NM(Roswell). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Kyle Ramage is offline   Reply With Quote
model 42
Unread 08-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
Ronald A Moore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Cool model 42

I think you have to run them through gun or press detent on loading gate to unload live shells.

Ron
Ronald A Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

http://www.eubanksgunsmithing.com/
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Ditto on the Eubanks gunsmithing recommendation!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #5
Kyle Ramage
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the responses. I will contact Eubanks. When I press the detent it does not allow me to extract the live shells. It is not working properly.
Unread 08-05-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,011 Times in 396 Posts

I have a couple of the Browning Model 42 clones. They are high grades and shot only a few times. They suffer this same issue. I found that if you put forward pressure on the fore end stock while pressing the release, they work fine. You might try that to see if it releases.

It appears that these guns have very tight tolerances when new and you need to release the pressure on the mechanism by pushing the slide forward while releasing in order for the catch to let go. It functions normally after a shot. I have not idea if this is a trait with the 42.You may just need to shoot it a bit to settle everything in.

The best plan may be to send it to me and I will break it in for you at a really modest fee.

(Don't forget that, in Roswell, weather ballons or aliens may be a contributor)!
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Model 42
Unread 08-06-2022, 12:25 AM   #7
Scott Gentry
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Model 42

If you push forward slightly you should feel/hear a slight click, this will let you operate the action slide. This happens naturally when firing the gun with recoil. Hold the action slide release button and work live rounds thru.

Hopefully this is all that it takes.
Scott Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Gentry For Your Post:
Unread 08-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #8
Kyle Ramage
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've been trying to push the slide action forward while pushing slide action button and in different variations, etc....It is not working empty, should it? When I dry fire it, the action works properly. My father in law said the person he bought it from stated it had never been fired. It is in "sweet" condition s/n: 367XX says proof steel. It also says 3". Maybe it is not broke in. I will shoot several boxes thru it and see if it loosens up. I am assuming "wal-mart" loads are ok? Thanks again for trying to help. If any of y'all are high tech and can post a video that would be helpful. I would probably not be able to myself.
Unread 08-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #9
Frank P
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had the same issue with my Mod 12 Heavy Duck. Pushing forward on the slide did not help. I removed the trigger group and cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner and it works much better. Having said that, on a 42, I would leave that kind of work to an experienced gunsmith.
Frank Puryear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #10
Kyle Ramage
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Frank, I was beginning to think I might push to hard and damage something. It definitely won't engage. I believe I will send it off to a gunsmith, after I shoot a few more thru it. I like the feel of it. I might not send off until I try it on some dove shooting here in a couple more weeks. I'm ready for bird season!