Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

British Proofmarks
Unread 01-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #1
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default British Proofmarks

Not wanting to hijack Bruces thread I thought I'd start another one. Among the various Birmingham proofmarks on my 1881 W.C. Scott Hammergun is one that I can't identify. It is a Crown over an S.
Also, on the barrels, are the marks...16B 18M on the right barrel, and 16B...17M on the right barrel. Would the (M) marks indicate choke ? All these proofmarks are on barrels (not the barrel flats). Can anyone familiar with British shotguns help ?
Thanks in advance.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Are you sure it isn't a stylized, interlaced, BP cypher under a crown rather than an S? That's the Birmingham black powder provisional proof mark. It's usually just up the barrels an inch or so from the flats and often stamped deep and hard to read. You're right about the 16B 18M being the bore and muzzle diameter.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #3
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Bob,
It's unquestionably a large, deeply struck, S under a crown. I would post a photo of it if I could. There are 2 deeply struck symbols about 1 inch up from the barrel flats that appear similar to the ones on Mr. Brunner's Rudd gun.
Unread 01-30-2022, 10:30 PM   #4
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yeah, the stamp doesn't look like a BP, but I'm pretty sure it is. The marks on the Rudd as well. Take a look at this image. The first proof mark in the third row from the top is the Birmingham black powder provisional proof. It looks more like an S when deeply struck. If you take a look at pictures of barrel flats from that time period on the net you'll see some that give a clearer image of the stamp. I could be wrong though. I've got 2-3 dozen British guns from that time period with those marks. The BP provisional proofs on some are clear, and others look like an S or are pretty much unreadable.
Attached Images
File Type: png English PM.png (201.6 KB, 89 views)
Unread 01-30-2022, 11:28 PM   #5
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here is a better chart with the date ranges on it. On shotguns Birmingham used the second in the string of marks as the provisional black powder proof. I don't recall seeing that mark anywhere other than the first inch or so of the barrels.

edit: Not that it should matter on your British gun, but the French (St. Etienne) black powder superior definitive proof mark, the German shotgun proof mark, and the Danish proof on Sjogren shotguns were all crown over S at different times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0088.JPG (86.1 KB, 83 views)
Unread 01-31-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

It seems we have a mystery here. The mark does not match up to any of the proof marks in the above chart. In fact, the "S" is about the same size as the crown, looking similar to the size ratio of the 1904-1925 marks.