Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

I keep an abbreviated journal of all my hunts in my files on my phone. Hunting any game, guiding, etc. It's all there as well as SxS tournaments, events and results.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

For many years I kept detailed records. Then some years ago I realized I did not get much pleasure from reading them. To the contrary it often saddened me to read of good dogs that are now gone. Since then my journal is in my mind and that I routinely visit.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 11-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #13
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,467 Times in 971 Posts

Thanks for all the replies folks. I find it hard to take detailed notes due to my adult ADD (so I'm told I'm a horrid case by my wife and friends...) and poor writing. I really don't tally kills and flushes so much as I do general impressions of the day. From last nights journal entry,

"The evening before daylight savings saw the trees burnt umber in the failing light, a few birds flushed, Raisin getting her nerve up and ranging too far. The sound of the creek at The Golden Corner where we took a break was probably the highlight of the afternoon." That's the type of stuff I try to record. I may go to typed pages since I type very fast, write very slow. God help me if I can read the above in ten more years : )
Unread 11-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

I keep a diary of my dogs' performances - how many birds, conditions, etc
Unread 11-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #15
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default electronic journals

Sorry but a tad late to this discussion. I have been away on a hunting trip.
I've kept a hunting (and other exploits) journal since my 20's. While mostly about hunting it includes other notable events such as the last day of duck season in 1990 when I never met my friends at the blind because my wife went into labor and our son was born.
When I retired my wife gave me a mini I-Pad and, after some research, I downloaded an app called "Day One" which is an electronic journal. I was very reluctant to switch to electronic means for many reasons including security of the information, possibility of losing the info and there's nothing like someone's real handwriting. I cherish my grandmothers journal from 1906 even though it is miserable to read due to her penmanship.
But...I gave it a try and happy with it so far. Positives include the automatic recording of the date/time of the entry, geo-locator (where you were located when you made the entry), and especially the ability to include photos from your smartphone into the entry. It is very easy to use. There may be better apps than Day One and if so would love to hear about them. My handwriting is getting worse too but not because of single malt. If been drinking that since my 20's too.
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 11-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,069 Posts

I've kept an irregular journal for years - usually 2 or 3 entries per week - about whatever was going on, not just outdoor activities. When I was working it was easy to take a few minutes when I got to the office to jot things down, but since I've been retired I haven't seemed to find the right moment to get back into the routine. I may get back into it, maybe not...guess we'll see.
Unread 11-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #17
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I've kept a ledger/journal for all the deer over the last 48 years . Time of day , yardage at the time of shot , yardage from the shot spot to where found , gun scope and cartridge if the cartridge was a handload the load as well . And if it was killed somewhere other than family property .

Now the kicker my NAME is NOWHERE to be found in the book

When I trout fished regularly I had the same type deal . It would have rod , fly line , length of trout and the dry fly used .
Unread 11-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #18
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I've kept a detailed journal of my hunting and fishing successes over the years..... I've almost filled my left thumbnail with notes and will switch to the right here soon..... I'll keep you all posted....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I've kept a ledger/journal for all the deer over the last 48 years . Time of day , yardage at the time of shot , yardage from the shot spot to where found , gun scope and cartridge if the cartridge was a handload the load as well . And if it was killed somewhere other than family property .

Now the kicker my NAME is NOWHERE to be found in the book

When I trout fished regularly I had the same type deal . It would have rod , fly line , length of trout and the dry fly used .
Craig, put your name in your journal. Someday, someone will want to know...unless, of course, there's incriminating information there.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I've kept a detailed journal of my hunting and fishing successes over the years..... I've almost filled my left thumbnail with notes and will switch to the right here soon..... I'll keep you all posted....
Now that's funny.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote