Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

An enjoyable time it was
Unread 02-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #111
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,297 Times in 629 Posts

Default An enjoyable time it was

I also enjoyed taking in the inaugural firearms auction put on by the Guyette & Deeter team, Josh, and Wes Dillon. I thought it was done very professionally and I’m hoping to be back for their September auction.

I enjoyed meeting Parker members Keavin Nelson, Bobby Grilli, John Bastiani, Jerry ??, and of course, Randy Roberts. I was hoping to see other friends there also, but I’m not sure where they might have sat, almost all the seats were filled.
It is a beautiful area for sure, I should have taken more photos, this photo is from the outside deck of the building where tha auction was held, The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
Stan Hoover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7ADA495E-7A9D-4C5C-81D0-47E71B41B1EE.jpg (541.0 KB, 3 views)
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2023, 10:40 PM   #112
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

I did not bid on any guns, but did have Josh handle the sale of 2 for me. From he first conversation with Josh through the follow up text he sent to me. I could not have been treated any better.
I wish Josh long term success in this new endeavor.
I will list additional fine guns through Josh in the future.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #113
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
I also enjoyed taking in the inaugural firearms auction put on by the Guyette & Deeter team, Josh, and Wes Dillon. I thought it was done very professionally and I’m hoping to be back for their September auction.

I enjoyed meeting Parker members Keavin Nelson, Bobby Grilli, John Bastiani, Jerry ??, and of course, Randy Roberts. I was hoping to see other friends there also, but I’m not sure where they might have sat, almost all the seats were filled.
It is a beautiful area for sure, I should have taken more photos, this photo is from the outside deck of the building where tha auction was held, The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
Stan Hoover
It was a pleasure meeting you as well Stan and all of the others. Did you get any of the guns you bid on? Also-I hope Mr. Nelson is feeling better.
John Bastiani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Bastiani For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2023, 10:27 AM   #114
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Yes sir ! Some are killed in Talbot each year but the majority are killed in Dorchester . I’ve taken nine sika’s in my entire hunting life of which two were six points which is what considered decent/good . I’d like to still be hunting them but now at 60+ that marsh in the dark alone isn’t the best thing for me to be doing . Always wanted 40-60 acres in southern Dorchester for hunting but it never happened . Only two Sika 6’s I killed one on state land the other on the Blackwater . Incidentally they are more closely related to elk than Whitetail’s , also me they taste a good bit like elk maybe just a hint sweeter in flavor .
Thanks for putting up pictures of your Sika buck. From what little I know about these Sika is that the deer that you have pictured is a real trophy and your being modest in calling it decent. If I ever hunt these deer-I know I would be more than happy with a kill as good as yours. I also bet that you enjoyed eating it as well!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Bastiani For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #115
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,274 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bastiani View Post
I looked and looked in all the fields you pass to see one of the Sika deer with no luck. According to everybody I talked to is that you have to go alittle farther into Dorchester county like you have mentioned. From pictures that I have seen they look like minature Elk and taste better than whitetails.
John,
It's very unlikely that you would see a Sika in the fields along Rt. 50. They are very secretive and tend to dwell in the marshes and fields in lower Dorchester County. Your best bet to see one is to visit Blackwater NWR in Dorchester Co. and cruise slowly through the refuge. I've killed a number of them, none as nice as Craig's, but they are fascinating little devils and very tasty. Maryland is a wonderful state to live in for a sportsman, but terrible for a gun owner and a taxpayer. Next time you are in this area let me know. I'll show you where to look.
Unread 02-06-2023, 11:22 AM   #116
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
John,
It's very unlikely that you would see a Sika in the fields along Rt. 50. They are very secretive and tend to dwell in the marshes and fields in lower Dorchester County. Your best bet to see one is to visit Blackwater NWR in Dorchester Co. and cruise slowly through the refuge. I've killed a number of them, none as nice as Craig's, but they are fascinating little devils and very tasty. Maryland is a wonderful state to live in for a sportsman, but terrible for a gun owner and a taxpayer. Next time you are in this area let me know. I'll show you where to look.
Thanks for your insight. I live in the western part of Maryland(Deep Creek). Do you know if I need a special permit to hunt the Sika deer or will my regular Deer permit work? I figure you might need to draw for these deer since they are so concentrated to one county in the state. Similiar to the way they do the Bear permits.
Unread 02-06-2023, 11:32 AM   #117
Billy Gross
PGCA Member

Member Info

BTW, if you like the area, there is the Water Foul Festival in Easton in November (I think it is usually the week before waterfowl hunting opens). There is a big Decoy auction then and a gun show down the road. Billy
Billy Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Gross For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2023, 11:37 AM   #118
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,274 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bastiani View Post
Thanks for your insight. I live in the western part of Maryland(Deep Creek). Do you know if I need a special permit to hunt the Sika deer or will my regular Deer permit work? I figure you might need to draw for these deer since they are so concentrated to one county in the state. Similiar to the way they do the Bear permits.
No, your regular license should cover it. Finding a place to hunt them will take some work. There are a couple areas of public hunting that are available. Maybe Craig will chime in here to clarify. I hunted private farms in the area in the vicinity of Blackwater. It truly is a wonderful place/area to visit and hunt.
Unread 02-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #119
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,297 Times in 629 Posts

John,

I was fortunate to bring a few home, after the fierce bidding started, I wasn’t sure if I would be able
I must say, if you were looking to buy any Smiths, according to suggested estimates, they were within reason compared to many of the others, for sure the Parkers.
I have a few friends who pursue the Sika deer, a trophy like Craig has been able to take requires much patience.

Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2023, 01:01 PM   #120
Keith Sirmans
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was too busy to pay it any attention. The 10 gauge ammo I was looking at went for $2100 I think.