Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

"The Bling Blind"
Unread 10-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default "The Bling Blind"

Every year we open up the early Maryland duck season, at a large blind situated along a heavily wooded creek near Urieville. It's always been a good early season blind with wood ducks and greenwings in predominance. We use it a few times during the year and two years ago on the season's last day, it produced a banded black/mallard hybrid drake for me.This year The Colonel, Russ and I showed up on Friday at the old 1704 Queen Anne brick farmhouse we use as a base during the season in the midst of the first of back to back nor'easters. Our guide could not help mention with a sly smile, "Well, boys, we've got weather." After a bit of ballgame watching and the ritual sipping of some Pikesville Maryland Straight Rye we hit the sack with the Yankees up 3-1. This morning it was raining and 42 degrees with swirling winds. Russ took his "rain gun", a 30" VHE with a Miller trigger, The Colonel his trusty Fox HE and I went with my Parker DH 32" 20g #2 frame magnum. At shootin' time it was still too dark to shoot but at about 7 o'clock we lit into a flock of mallards flying below a gaggle of Canadas...Strike Out! Hmmmm, how did that happen? The rain came down and a few ducks came by and a few fell and a few didn't. We picked at them, a greenwing here and a woodie there, a pair of mallards until we had an unremarkable 8 ducks...What was remarkable perhaps even notable was by 11:20 we had 3 duck bands in the blind on the ankles of 2 mallards and a woodie. A 11:25 a pair of woodies pulled pass a snoozing Colonel going upstream haulin the frieght. As they dipped to give a passing glance at the dekes, Russ to my left, yelled, "Ducks!" just as I spied them myself. We jumped up. Russ took the rear woodrow while I swung on the front bird. We scored. Mine staggered with the first shot, clawed for altitude but my second dose of 1 1/4 oz of Tungsten Polymer 6s anchored it and both fell about 20 yards apart. Gunner, the Lab was sent for my bird first by Bernie the guide. When he brought it back to him, I heard Bernie say, "For God's sake! He tossed the woodie to me in the blind as I put down the big 20. Another band...Gunner was already on his way to pick up Russ' duck. I watched Bernie shake his head when Gunner brought it to hand. It was another banded bird for a total of 5. A fairly notable day, I'd say... we quit at noon. 3 bands for me and 2 for Russ...back at the house sitting around lunch with 3 of the guides we all agreed, the Urieville Blind will now and forever be known as "The Bling Blind"...a good day out with the Parkers...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

I'm not sure is Destry will ever forgive you...
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

His reply to my text message was "I hate you." At 6:03 this evening, he and Nathan had 3 redheads, 1 bluebill and a baldpate but not one single band...can you imagine?

Last edited by Don Kaas; 10-17-2009 at 09:25 PM..
Unread 10-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Congrats Don !!! What a day !!!

Three times we have shot two banded ducks in one day but never more than that. One of those over on St. Clair was a Jack Miner....I did not take that one home with me...

Kurt
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Don, did the mallards have RSA bands or government bands? Most of the RSAs are in Dorchester, I assume, but I guess there are also RSAs up north.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had 2 USFWS bands both woodies were banded in MD one in August the other in September of this year and 1 Bombay Hook band obviously banded in DE . Russ had 1 USFWS and 1 Bombay Hook band.

Last edited by Don Kaas; 10-19-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

I assume the Bombay Hook is a Delaware state tag. Congratulations, I thought you may have just run into a bunch of RSA birds out for a spin. I hope you guys are having a good time. Won't make it to the Allentown Show. The K Man is on his annual grouse trip.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Not too much interesting in the Parker line at the Allentown Show. I saw a rather early 12g Titanic DH (95,???) on a 1 1/2 frame. I came home with 96,248, a 30" #2 frame m/f factory straight grip 12g VH. from 1900..
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

I still hate you.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote