Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Some questions re: RST Loads
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,262 Posts

Default Some questions re: RST Loads

After shooting skeet this past weekend and while cleaning my 20 ga repro, it seemed to me the barrels had heavy fouling. I was shooting RST 20 ga 2 3/4" Lite 7/8 oz loads at 1100, #8 shot . Are these loads prone to heavy fouling? Powder residue seemed to be more than I'd expect. Do they make another load less prone to heavy fouling - burns cleaner? Any thoughts, recommendations? Went through quite a few cleaning patches before the barrels were cleaned. Do they use a slower burning powder on their 'Lite' loads which results in greater fowling than not? Just a thought.

Also, I haven't been yet to an event where RST sets up their tent so I've purchased a couple of cases via their web. Are their prices any better at these shooting venues? Any special deals on prices at the various events they attend?
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,673 Times in 4,635 Posts

I too have noticed this with RST loads and the word I have gotten from others is that RST factory ammo does burn dirty. A lot of residue and some unburned powder.

I have only shot their 2.5" lites and experienced the same thing. I reload them with the same wad they use and international clays powder. my hand loads burn pretty clean.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Brian, there must be other loads out there from other manufacturers that burn better. While I do enjoy cleaning my doubles, I don't plan to make it a half day event!
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,673 Times in 4,635 Posts

I am sure there is.
I noticed dirty burning RST loads most in a 12g 32" lifter of mine that has been honed some. They were filthy after shooting a box through it.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I pushed a half dozen swabs with cleaner though the barrels and the swabs were virtually totally black with powder residue. More than I've noticed before. I had to spray the interior of each barrel and let them sit for a couple of minutes in order to finally remove this stuff.
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,929 Times in 4,783 Posts

Different types of powder leave different amounts of residue. RST selects their powders for reliable ignition in cold weather while still retaining almost unheard of low pressures. I don't think any other shell manufacturer loads shells with the low pressures of the RST shells. The exact pressure level is available with a phone call. Residue is not a direct result of incomplete ignition, more likely just the type of powder being used and the material used to coat the powder itself. The exact pressure will not be printed on the box because of changing figures for individual lots. I would push a Tornado brush through the bore before final cleaning with solvent and patch. In my opinion, no other maker of shotshells is making a low pressure shell that will pass the freezer test that I gave the lowest pressure RST shells several years ago. Personally, I will not be looking for another brand of shell because of powder fouling of the RST shells.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,643 Times in 3,130 Posts

You don't need to shoot Lites in a repro. AA is fine for that gun, and you'll spend less. RST loads really aren't dirtier, it's as Bill says, the burned powder coating. The barrels will get looking fouled after the first shots, and no dirtier after that. I am not about to switch brands and find cleaning a breeze with a Tico stick; takes 2-3 in-outs
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Allen,

I use RST shells in the couple of Twist barrel guns I have but for your new 20 reproduction there are tons of shells that will work perfectly fine in the gun and most likely cheaper as well. I love RST but look at them for a niche product for my guns. Obviously I am not trying to control what you shoot in your guns but am simply suggesting the normal Remington, Winchester or Federal loads would burn cleaner and be cheaper to shoot. For years I have used one of the cleaning rod length Tico Tool hairy type cleaner and oiler and love them. I will never go back to a normal cleaning rod with patches unless I want the bristle brush function. The Tico procuct is easy to use and washable. Just suggestions. Other than that how did the new gun shoot?

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,643 Times in 3,130 Posts

RST will be at the Vintagers. The tent price is the same as the web price (minus the shipping)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,376 Times in 12,413 Posts

I shoot RST ammo almost exclusively and use a bore snake to clean all of my Parkers' bores. the bore snakes have the brass bristles as well as a full-length swab.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: