Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

Classic Gunstocks fixed the Miller Single Trigger on her VH 16 that was doubling
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,705 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
The help of a trusted professional would be what I'd seek out. Messing with hammers and sears is a tricky business.

Destry
Destry,

You are correct. That's why if it is the hammers and sears I recommend Del Grego.

A family member gave me a L.C. Smith Damascus gun. I had my amateur "smith" check it out. He took it apart and cleaned it, so I loaded up some black powder shells.

Was having a good dove day and needed a couple more. Put up my auto and got the L. C. Smith out. My young son was with me.

I put shells in both barrels and closed the action. Luckily it was pointed straight ahead as both barrels went off into the ground when I pushed the safety off and a cloud of black smoke covered us up.

The gun drove the opening lever back into my thumb splitting the nail and thumb wide open. Spent the opening day night in the emergency room having my thumb put back together.

He had over-tightened the lock screw pressing the locks into the wood which acted as the triggers making the sears barely hold. Have never touched it again since I put it away.

Last edited by Jerry Harlow; 09-13-2014 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: added "when I pushed the safety off" to clarify
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

fellas i know it would be the best to have a pro like delgraygo fix this gun or some of the other good parker gun smiths but to be honest i cannot afford to have one of them fix it...i fixed the old ph 10 ga the left barrel on it would go off just looking at it...if i run into problems i will have to ask ya lls advise....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,705 Times in 876 Posts

Charlie,

If anyone can do it themselves I know you can. I may be wrong, but I am guessing you can just send the sear and hammer and have them recut by them on their precise jig. That should not cost much. I don't know though.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

just got through putting up my tools andwent out and tried the old 3 frame 12 out ...only shot it 4 times but no doubling..i will put a box through it tommorrow but i believe its fixed...i took the old gal apart she musta not been cleaned inside since mr parker made her..i could see no worn parts in fact this gun has very little wear...somebody blued the barrels and bottom plate and trigger guard but who ever did it sure did not clean the thick grease inside it...i took everything apart and cleaned and scraped and air blowed it...if the sears and triggers had been worn bad i guess i would have to called on brian to help me out with some used parts..but then again i guess i coulda tig welded them..anyway i think its fixed will no tommorrow for sure i sure appreciate ya lls advice..if i keep working on these things i m gona get me a gun vice though cause two hands aint enough for me had to get the wife to help drive in the sears pin....charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

just got thru putting a box of federal 1 1/8 ounce of lead thru the 3 frame 12 ga she done fine...charlie
Unread 09-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Something about sending a gun off without taking it apart my self. Just cant do it. I have been dismantling stuff since I was a little kid. I suspect Charlie is the same way.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

In addition to all the obvious reasons for having a good gunsmith repair a gun, I have found it a whole lot less expensive than you think. Dad had a bad barrel dent in his LC Smith, the local idiot here told him it was beyond repair and I think even charged him for that news - 20 years ago. I take it up to Darlington Gun Works last year and $150 bucks later, it is good as gold and shot a limit of doves last weekend.
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yes i too have took apart lots of things but in doing so i found out i was no watch repair man...usally could build 2 watches out of one watches parts... the old 3frame was only super dirty inside nothing wore out..i could not believe someone could reblue some parts and refinish a stock and leave such a mess inside of a gun...i know now why some of you take everygun apart and clean it good...charlie
Unread 09-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Anyone who can get the silent auction 8 gauge working can fix anything. How is she doing Charlie?