Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Pheasant Hunting "Springer Style"
Unread 10-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pheasant Hunting "Springer Style"

The weather here in the Northeast has been very warm, up in the low seventies to mid to upper sixties. What happen to those crisp morning's with the frost covering the ground and the numb fingertips? I think back over the last thirty plus years of hunting and one cannot help but to see the changes that is taking place with our climate. Whether it is man made or not, our weather is changing. Last week, Opening day October 20, was a wet one. Hunting was slow and the dogs were having trouble picking up scent but, with some work and time we did manage to put a few birds in the air and limit out. This Saturday was dry in the mid sixties. Benny and I were up before the sun. We headed out to one of our favorite pheasant spots. As we headed in, the sun was peaking up over the hillside and it was proving to be another warm one. After crossing a stone wall, I loaded up the Parker. My Springer immediately went to work. After about twenty minutes of Benny crossing in and out of the now, browned weeds and dried wildflowers I can see though his body language that he is on the scent. Moments after picking up the initial scent, with his nose stuffed to the ground, Benny lunges. A hen, heading away from me screams out of the brush only to be knocked out of the air by a Spread-R #6 shot. After retrieving the bird, I give him a pat and a “Good Job Benny”! After placing the bird into my hunting vest, I reload and we quickly get back into the hunt. As I walk and listen to the sound of Benny’s bell, I cannot help but to look around and take in the beautiful fall colors and the view from the top of the hill looking into the valley below thinking, this is the place to be. There is a slight breeze coming up from the valley and up over the hill giving some relieve to the warm temperature as we poked our way though the underbrush. I feel we all need a place to go from time to time to forget about reality and life’s every day worries, even if it is only temporary. We now were into the hunt for about an hour and a half. Benny was picking up plenty of old scent. I decided to change tactics and head into some of the thicker areas in hopes of picking up a straggler. This proved to be fruitful. After about fifteen minutes Benny goes into his, “I’m on the scent routine”. After tracking this bird for a few minutes Benjamin produces this beautiful Rooster which cackles while it takes flight. Again, I place the ivory bead just in front of the pheasant as I gently squeeze the front trigger, a slight nudge against my shoulder and my Parker barks sending out a pattern of #6 shot folding up the bird and cutting its flight short. Through team work this limits us out for the day. I gently place the cock pheasant into my now, sweat soaked hunting vest and head for the truck. While driving home I reflect on the last couple hunts and I think to myself, this is pheasant hunting, “Springer Style”.

The first photo I enclosed is of last weeks, Opening day, "wet pheasants" and the rest are from today's hunt taken with my cell phone. The last two were taken with my camera. I also am enclosing a link for the last cock pheasant that I harvested today taken with a inexpensive hat cam that I have been playing with. I had to upload it using U-tube so I would have a link to attach it to. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWhcVu4bRk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Opening Day Catch.jpg (124.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Benny on the Hunt. Oct. 27, Norwich Fish and Game.jpg (114.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Benny with days limit, Oct. 27 Norwich Fish.jpg (123.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Hunting Oct. 27, 2012 002.jpg (547.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Hunting Oct. 27, 2012 003.jpg (523.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by William Maynard; 10-27-2012 at 08:08 PM..
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,234 Times in 515 Posts

Way cool William!! Thanks for sharing.
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,347 Times in 923 Posts

Nice pictures, and a very nice dog. You are correct on the "frosty" mornings. We have not had a hard frost yet here in central NH.............very wierd.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice pictures, and a very nice dog. You are correct on the "frosty" mornings. We have not had a hard frost yet here in central NH.............very wierd.

I went up to Major Waldrons in New Hampshire last New Years Day for the "Parker Shoot". We had short sleeve shirts on and not a snow flake on the ground?
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

no frost in mississippi yet either...that sringer type hunt was a good one from the photo s taken nice lookin dog and a beautiful parker... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Very cool hat cam William. I might have to try one of those. Nice shot on that bird too. Looked like perfect pheasant cover to be hunting.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Very cool hat cam William. I might have to try one of those. Nice shot on that bird too. Looked like perfect pheasant cover to be hunting.
Thanks Richard, The hatcam was just a last thought moment. It is very small. The camera I am using is a, 808 HD Car Key Micro Camera (#16). They have gread reviews and are inexpensive and well built. It is the size of a car key. I was interested in a more expensive but, I thought I would give the cheaper version a try to see if it is something I am interested in. Good Hunting to you.
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

AHHH...THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

I have been scouring similar cover here in So. NH without the benefit of a "Benny" of my own...looks like a great day for you both! Nice film work too!
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

WOW. Just think if I had one of those cams on my hat for the last 50 years. Oh well. Gerald
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

William, that was sweet,sweet, sweet. That hat cam is a good idea. Benny, you and the Parker make a good team. Keep up the good work.
I have to pay for a hunting preserve to hunt pheasants in so. Tx. I do love it though. The good thing is that some one else is responsable for all the
dog food, training and vet bills. I just pay my money and have a great time.
Nice Parker, by the way.