Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

not a parker
Unread 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default not a parker

was out for about a hour and a half trying to train me a new squirl dog...did not see a squirl....we treed 4 times.. one was in a hole.....but nairy a hair did we come back with....i shook vines and hissed and hollered till i just about cant talk....my older dog is a bluetick hound hes like me seen better days....the dog im trying to train is a jack russel...the problem im having is that she trees by sight.....she has started treeing on her on but when i take her hunting she doesnot seem to know what shes looking for....she will tree sometimes with the other dog but we have failed so far to be able to get a squirl out for her....anybody got any suggestions....old blue tick may be lying and the blame may lay on me...dont seem like i can find them squirls so good anymore.....was using the ole 22 remington 550-1 a for backup..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Had a JRT once and he was pretty good. More of a sight than scent finder like yours, but he worked well with the Redbones and was a fast and furious kill dog. Get a little hair in his mouth and he'll get fired up and never quit.

Fred
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

fred i belive your right...if i ever get to knock a squirl out on her i belieave shell be ok... took off went deer hunting this evening....was almost dark just still enough time tosee my open iron sighte and out walked a big doe....range was about 30 steps....pulled back the hammer on the 44 mag..h r and a few moments later another nice fat doe for the frezer.....tried to load her up on 4 wheeler but just couldnot get her up on the rack....had to go barrow a rope from my dad and drag her to the house.....thank god for those 4 wheelers....gotta get up early see if i can see something in the morning...... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote