Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

20 Gauge W/ 28" Barrels vs Two Barrels Sets
Unread 01-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
JWH
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 20 Gauge W/ 28" Barrels vs Two Barrels Sets

I've been looking to buy a 20 gauge reproduction with English grip, dual triggers and 28" barrels and keep just missing out on the opportunity.

I was curious if anyone knew how many 20 gauges were made with single 28" barrels vs two barrel sets ?

BTW... If you know anyone who has a 20 gauge repro with English grip, dual triggers and 28" barrels that's for sale, please let me know.
Joel Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,984 Times in 565 Posts

Joe,
I believe the answer to your question is we don't know. 20 GA guns were mated as a single 28" barrel option for sure. They made special 28" cases for them.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

I wrote a post with my opinion about 28" one barrel sets a while back but did not post it. I wanted to give it more thought before I posted. At this point, the only sure way to get a 28" single barrel set in any gauge is to buy a two barrel set. I am convinced, since I have been in this business since the beginning, that 28" single barrel sets were not rare in the beginning, but have become rare because they are hidden in collections. Double trigger, single barrel sets are even more likely to be hidden in collections. This combination is very hard to find, yet it seems that every serious Repro collector has a one barrel, double trigger gun in his stash. This phenomenon existed during the "closeout" when double trigger 28" guns disappeared early and two barrel sets were the only way you could get such a thing. In fact, during the closeout, I could not locate a 28" 28 gauge single barrel set from any of the suppliers. I did not inquire about the 20 gauge, but I assume the same situation existed. A 12 gauge, double trigger, single barrel 28" gun is even more elusive because of the small production of the 12 gauge Repro. Yes, they are all in collections. I guess my point is that we have to pay the price for 28" and double trigger guns if we want one, or settle for a 26" or single trigger gun which are wonderful alternatives, and the gun of choice for many of us. Get them while they are here. They won't be here forever, at least at these prices.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #4
JWH
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Bill for the insight. I'm still on the hunt for one and hopefully will find a single or two barrel set at some point.
Unread 01-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Several years back I was on the quest for a single 28" barreled 20 with PG, BT. and double triggers. I looked for 3 or 4 years and finally found one and a beautiful example at that. It was at a popular dealer and he wanted $6500 when most 20's were selling in the mid 4's. I tried to negotiate a more reasonable price but he would not budge I passed. About a year later I purchased one for $4200 but it had Briley thin wall tubes installed. I bought it and have never regretted it. The moral of the story - keep looking.
Gary Laudermilch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
JWH
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Several years back I was on the quest for a single 28" barreled 20 with PG, BT. and double triggers. I looked for 3 or 4 years and finally found one and a beautiful example at that. It was at a popular dealer and he wanted $6500 when most 20's were selling in the mid 4's. I tried to negotiate a more reasonable price but he would not budge I passed. About a year later I purchased one for $4200 but it had Briley thin wall tubes installed. I bought it and have never regretted it. The moral of the story - keep looking.
Haha, Thanks Gary !
Unread 01-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

I am on my way to completing my three gun, consecutive serial numbers, double trigger, 28", 28 gauge set. Wish me luck. By the way, I have never owned a 20, a 16 or a .410. Maybe some day.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: