Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-16-2022, 11:56 PM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

So I made some paper shotcups, I used a dowel to seat a 10ga nitro card in the bottom then glued it in place and let it set. I need to rig up a 3 bladed wad cutter I have read 3 slits pattern tighter than 4.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 04-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

Excuse me for coming in late, Milton, but what glue do you use to make a wad stay in place, especially an over shot wad when the load is not crimped? I need a glue that will work on plastic shells as well as paper. How about brass?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2022, 04:26 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

hope the 3 finger slits pattern better I wonder about 2 slit in them.....guess I can try it...hope the paper wads do ok I m waiting on the results....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Excuse me for coming in late, Milton, but what glue do you use to make a wad stay in place, especially an over shot wad when the load is not crimped? I need a glue that will work on plastic shells as well as paper. How about brass?
I have read duco cement works well and it burns up since its highly flammable. I have played around with gorilla glue on a few loads with the plastic Winchester cases. I wouldn't recommend it or any glue that expands like that. The top 2 glues I see recommended especially for all brass shells is a hot glue gun or duco. Water glass is often mentioned but the cure time on it seems to be the longest.

If you wanted to find out which glue is going to hold the overshot card in place the best you could load a few dummy rounds with different glues and toss them in a tumbler and see which holds up the best.

I find the best way to keep the overshot card from shifting around is to have it sitting flush on top of a shotcup, works essentially like a tiny manhole cover. Keeps the overshot card from bending/conforming to the shot column as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 278133713_657463125318643_1958125939997427523_n.jpg (278.2 KB, 0 views)
Unread 04-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #15
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
hope the 3 finger slits pattern better I wonder about 2 slit in them.....guess I can try it...hope the paper wads do ok I m waiting on the results....charlie
Charlie from what I have researched 2 slit/petal wads seem to be unpredictable and usually dont open in a way you would want or they snap in half while in flight. A easy way for slitting wads I have been looking at is simply taking a broadhead and putting it in a press and doing it that way for the most consistency. 3 blade broadhead for 3 slits 4 blade for 4 slits etc I have seen some over complicated homemade jigs people have come up with but the broadhead looks like the easiest and more consistent way of doing it.
Unread 04-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

well today I got out my 8 ga wad punch and a 10 ga wad punch....my wife had a cat litter box empty so I cut it up and started making some wads out of it..the 8 ga punch is made out of some really good steel the 10 ga is a cheaper version....anyway I got a double handful of wads made up...I did this because shooting black powder melts those plastic wads and its a bummer cleaning the plastic out of your barrel....boy those Winchester wads that are placed backwards in those winchesterglued together shot really have some good patters..i shot some no 6 shot at 60 long steps it would have killed a turkey dead...I was shooting the 3 1/2 inch 12 ga with 2 ounce of shot...found the wad at about 20 yards still in good shape...I would never have thought turning a wad backwards would have worked so well...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote