Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-02-2022, 09:04 PM   #21
Keith Sirmans
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
It's not a press, Milton. It only resizes the case heads, and you can interchange collets for any gauge. I can do from 10 ga. down to .410. I actually bought it when I used to reload for a short 10. I never had a 10 ga. press and only used hand tools like you describe, except for the Sizemaster. I picked up 3" 10 ga. duck load hulls in blinds and would resize the heads in the Sizemaster, after shortening them to 2 7/8", for use in my LC Smith 10.

It's a valuable tool for someone that picks up used hulls. All presses will resize, but not all use a collet to do it. Collet resizing is absolutely effortless.
I need to pick your brain more about that
Keith Sirmans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Sirmans For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2022, 11:37 PM   #22
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
It's not a press, Milton. It only resizes the case heads, and you can interchange collets for any gauge. I can do from 10 ga. down to .410. I actually bought it when I used to reload for a short 10. I never had a 10 ga. press and only used hand tools like you describe, except for the Sizemaster. I picked up 3" 10 ga. duck load hulls in blinds and would resize the heads in the Sizemaster, after shortening them to 2 7/8", for use in my LC Smith 10.

It's a valuable tool for someone that picks up used hulls. All presses will resize, but not all use a collet to do it. Collet resizing is absolutely effortless.
I havnt gotten around to resizing 10 gauge hulls, I have been using new hulls.
Resizing my 8 gauge hulls is pretty easy by just using a small amount of mica on the case head.

I have a list of reloading things I want to get this year but we'll see how it goes.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2022, 07:08 AM   #23
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use hard wood clamp jaw pads in the drill press vise. Wood jaws quick to make & give good friction. Drill hole shell head size then split the block with the bandsaw . Gap left by the saw cut gives enough movement for the jaws to grab the case with light pressure.

Was using the wood jaws as prototypes intending to make a set out of aluminum indexed with dowel pins . Work so well never made the aluminum jaws.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 03-03-2022, 07:11 AM   #24
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,121 Posts

Keith and Milton, my bad for calling it by the wrong name. The Sizemaster is indeed a press that uses the collet type resizing, but the tool I have is called a SuperSizer. My apologies for using the wrong name and causing confusion. I just realized my error.

I think mine is still set up on the drill press table, from my last loading session with 3" .410 nickel plated shot loads. I'll take a peek in a few minutes and, if it is, I'll snap a pic and put it on here tonight. Again, sorry for the confusion I caused.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 03-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #25
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I took two nylon blocks, tipped them 45 degrees and used a end mill to mill a " vee " in each one. They're used in a cheap drill press vice. Any size shell will work.
I have both the BPI and PRing roll crimpers in 12 and 10ga and prefer the PRing one with 4 pins. It works just fine and I don't slow down the drill press. JMHO, but I think they work better when warm, and the higher speed helps warm em quicker.
Funny, I never thought of using my Sizemaster. Da.
Unread 03-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #26
Keith Sirmans
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice Paul! I do have some old cutting boards
Keith Sirmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #27
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I went to some effort to set my PW 375 to handle and star crimp 2 7/8 10 G. Its easier to preform all the size, prime, charge, insert wad &/drop shot operations on the PW. Then switch to the roll crimper final step. Ponsness Warrens final crimp is performed off the press anyway,.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2022, 05:33 AM   #28
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
I took two nylon blocks, tipped them 45 degrees and used a end mill to mill a " vee " in each one. They're used in a cheap drill press vice. Any size shell will work.
I have both the BPI and PRing roll crimpers in 12 and 10ga and prefer the PRing one with 4 pins. It works just fine and I don't slow down the drill press. JMHO, but I think they work better when warm, and the higher speed helps warm em quicker.
Funny, I never thought of using my Sizemaster. Da.
For me it just feels like the 4 pin design takes more force to do the crimp.
I was preheating my roll crimpers but I havnt noticed much of a difference. Im sure the hull type probably plays a part on which method works better.
If I order some brass cases this year though I probably wont be doing much roll crimping in the future. While the initial cost is high they last forever.
I use a 1 ton arbor press for resizing my 8 gauge shells, after firing they dont change in dimensions at least non I could read on a digital caliper.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #29
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
I went to some effort to set my PW 375 to handle and star crimp 2 7/8 10 G. Its easier to preform all the size, prime, charge, insert wad &/drop shot operations on the PW. Then switch to the roll crimper final step. Ponsness Warrens final crimp is performed off the press anyway,.

William
I went a similar path, some serious effort and a bit of machining to transform a Pacific 266 to run my short 10s on. I have 3 others set up for 20, 16, and 12. Been using one since high school and wanted to stay with the same press system. After much effort and some serious profanity I "got there". I'm now getting great 6 pt. star crimps when I want them and pull the loaded hulls off before crimping to roll crimp. I ended up building what amounts to a drill guide to use with a hand drill, works great. Been a labor of love but very satisfying in the end.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 06:18 PM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

William Davis, why can't you finish the crimp (star crimp) on the 375? I can't get a good 10 gauge crimp on mine because I think I need a starter crimp. However, don't understand the need for a roll crimp. My empties are rough cut to 2 7/8 but from then on, things get difficult.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote