Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

First Parker Purchase and now I'm scared I messed up
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Stephanie Murray
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default First Parker Purchase and now I'm scared I messed up

Hey there,
I purchased a Parker sxs 12 gauge with a 30" barrel at a local estate sale this weekend. My grandfather has always dreamed of owning a Parker. I was his first grandchild. I'm his only grand girl and I've gone on many hunting trips over the years with him - lots of wonderful memories. After purchasing the gun, I'm now fearful I did not do enough research. The stock does not look like any of the others I've seen. Also, there are markings (CVR) that I can't find the meaning to. There are slight dents in the barrel so will these make it a wall hanger? I am hoping someone out there can look at the pictures and let me know if I made a mistake... According to the serial # it was made in 1913... Any advice/knowledge/help would be greatly appreciated!!! I have no clue what it's true worth is and I paid $1700.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (37.8 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg cvr.jpg (38.1 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg stock.jpg (44.5 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg serialnumber.jpg (40.5 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload.jpg (40.6 KB, 430 views)
Stephanie Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Stephanie,
You have a Trojan grade with the OV marking not a CV. If it looks like a C rather than a O it is probably due to an uneven strike. It left the factory as a 12 with 30" bbls. A dent does not relegate it to wall hanger status. Dents can be removed or the gun shot with small dents. You need to have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith before firing as you question the effect of the dent. Your post suggests you don't have a lot of experience with doubles so a smith can check out its overall safety. Some dents can render a gun unsafe if extreme.
the gun is a #2 frame the rule for 12 ga Trojans.
The pad is not original and the stock is likely a replacement can't be sure from your photos. You can check for a SN stamped into the stock under the rear of the trigger guard by removing the screw and twisting the guard counter clockwise.
Yeah you probably paid to much. Most of us have at one time or another.
Welcome to the club!
Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Dorr For Your Post:
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Stephanie Murray
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Erick,

Look closely at the second pic. I know that it is marked with an OV for a Trojan above the serial number. But there is also a marking of CVR in the second pic just under my fingers. I can't find anything about this marking....
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,343 Times in 3,302 Posts

Stephanie -

for the dent- as Erick said - easy for a competent gunsmith - make sure they know doubles and what they are doing

if you let us know your general location - someone may be able to point you to someone
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,055 Times in 1,426 Posts

I find it difficult to know how to respond. I am sure you know advice regarding such things is valuable prior to a purchase and not so much after. Sadly, in my opinion your fears of having overpaid are correct. Buying and collecting Parker's often has a tuition cost to becoming educated, you are not alone.

That said, the recoil pad is not original, the checkering is not original and the stock was either modified or is not original as the shape of the pistol grip looks a little funny to me.

In the first picture the lever looks to be quite left of center and the line around the dolls head extension, where the barrels meet the receiver looks like it could be an uneven fit. When the gun is closed are the barrels tight to the frame or do they wiggle? Can you see light between the barrels and the receiver when held up to a light bulb? If the barrels are loose, it's called "off-face" and it is a fairly expensive repair.

Good luck to you going forward.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Stephanie,
The bottom of the bbls under your fingers looks like an OV to me in the photo. Sometimes they are not stamped evenly or as deeply in a consistent manner. I am at a loss to explain the "R" at the moment maybe someone else will chime in on that.
Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Stephanie Murray
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll try to get a clearer pic of the CV stamp when I get home and take it apart. The gun is tight and not loose at all. There is no light that can be seen through it.

Y'all are awesome. My sweet little Granddaddy will love it no matter what. But I have learned a lesson going forward. I live around Charleston, SC. If y'all recommend someone, I will gladly pay to have it inspected/appraised.

Thank you all so much for your help. Many thanks!
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The good news is you can have it restocked and the barrels redone and the receiver restored and then the gun will be worth $1700.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,408 Times in 4,732 Posts

The buttstock on the gun MAY be original. But it has at least for sure been crudely altered, refinished and incorrectly checkered. It is hard to tell from the photos if the frame has been blued at one time or not. And there looks to be some questionable things happen ring around the rib extension, like some past buffing or rounding of edges.

As some have previously stated, your fears are correct in that you paid a lot more than the gun is actually worth in its current state.

That "R" stamp next to the OV is very interesting.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 05-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Bob Hardison
Forum Associate

Member Info

Stephanie: I'm 69 and still paying too much for Parkershttp://parkerguns.org/forums/images/smilies/bigcry.gif My opinion is any Parker will always be worth something. The good news is that you could not find a better place to locate knowledgeable, kind and helpful people. Your granddaddy will certainly be proud! Regards, Bob
Bob Hardison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Hardison For Your Post: