Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 08-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #11
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

These are all for steel barrels. The notes in red are mine, based on everything involved (my inventory of components among others). The single one posted by itself came in sometime earlier that the others along with a couple of "failed" ones. I'm looking for 1200 FPS and as low a pressure as I can get at that velocity. With any of these I can back off just a bit (1 1/2gr. maybe), hit my velocity and not worry about pressure. Over the year I shoot at least 20 different shotguns depending on the game, clays, or just my mood that day, and my personal take on it is if I have consistent velocity among my loads I don't have to adjust leads regardless if it's ducks, doves, or quail. Hopefully this makes me a better shot!
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2022, 06:04 PM   #12
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

On Damascus I want under 6500 for sure, I have some 10 ga 1 1/4 oz. loads that are around 5K, have one that came in over 1200 FPS and about 4250 PSI.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 08-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #13
John Cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Keith, thanks for that info.

Like I indicated, I will be starting from scratch with shotshell reloading. I guess the first thing to address is equipment.

What brand, model, configuration of reloading equipment is viewed by forum members as the best experience for low pressure reloading? What features should I look for?
John Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #14
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use old Pacific 226s, one for each gauge I load, been using one since high school and I'm comfortable with them, got lots of parts and bushings. MEC is probably the most used brand but I'm guessing. You can go from basic/simple up to high dollar/really nice, kinda depends on how deep in the $$ you want to get and what volume of production you need. I WOULD recommend a good powder scale whatever brand you go with. I have found many times the "published" charge for any powder bushing may be less than accurate. I always check by weight any charge bushing I'm using before I believe the published! I'm sure others here will offer educated opinions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2022, 08:10 PM   #15
John Cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Keith,

I have been trying to look at shot shell reloaders. In my preliminary searches, most references are to handling 2 3/4” to 3”. Are there specific machines for 2 1/2 or do people just make some adjustments to 2 3/4?
Unread 08-21-2022, 08:54 PM   #16
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have heard mention of "short kits" for some presses (MEC I think). My Pacific 266s were never offered in anything but 2 3/4" and 3". I simply machined 1/4" off the final crimp dies and adjusted all the other stations to match, pretty simple with that old, "obsolete" system, especially if you own a lathe and mill. The 10 ga. required shortening up the crimp die 5/8" (die was originally for 3 1/2", I needed 2 7/8"), boring out the primer seating well out about .020 as that press was never offered in 10 ga and the hull rim wouldn't go down on the spring loaded seat. I have seen pics of some guys shimming up the shell holders in the required stations to allow for 2 1/2" hulls. I guess they could adjust the dies to work that way.
I don't know of any new presses specifically for 2 1/2" ammo but there may be some or as mentioned, kits available to modify the units. My experience has been very good with calling the manufacturers tech people for help and advice with reloading issues over the years. I own old Pacific units for shotshells and RCBS for all my pistol and rifle needs. Both have been very helpful with parts and advice.
Unread 08-21-2022, 09:03 PM   #17
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just took a look, MEC has several "short" kits in stock at several vendors (Midway and Precision is where I looked) , it looks like, all gauges. Recommend a call to their tech guys, tell them what you want to do and let them guide you to the proper combinations. I don't know the MEC line well enough to say. I do know a lot of our members use MEC units with great success.
Unread 08-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,421 Times in 4,595 Posts

If you are wanting to reload 2-1/2”. Just get a Mec Jr along with the spacer plate for doing 2-1/2” and 3”. Or you can just make one out of a piece of 1/4” ply wood.

As for recipes, there are many out there that would be published by the companies for whatever powder you are using. As well as hulls. Keep the recipe pressures under 8,000. Ideally in the 6-7k range and you will be find.
Unread 10-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #19
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I may not be in the good graces of some but what I'm going to write has worked for me since about 2005 shooting Damascus barrel guns. Been reloading since 1970.
You can shoot 2 3/4" shells in a 2 1/2" chambered gun - the pressure only goes up about 500psi. Sherman Bell did test about this and published them in the DGJ [ not in business anymore ]. He also tried to blow up in two different test, 40 Damascus barreled wall hanger SxSs. He took one Parker to 30,000psi before it let go. NONE of the wall hangers would blow with Remington proof loads of around 18,000psi. The reason I'm writing this is I believe you're worrying too much about shooting your gun. Most guys like to keep loads around 7500psi, but 8 or 8500psi loads wouldn't do any damage. I personally like to keep mine under 8000psi. If you call Alliant or Hodgdons I believe they'll still mail you one of their reloading handbooks for free. I find them much easier to use than the internet.
A Mec 600, or Jr as they're called, is probably the best bet for the money. A used one should still be found for around $100. Figure in a powder scale [ electronic for $35 ] from BPI or Precision Reloading.
Look up reloads for target shooting with 1 oz or less and you'll find many loads. The big problem is finding powder and primers. I lump primers in two groups - mild and hot. The Fed 209A and CCI 209M are hot. The rest mild. If you're reloading at say 7000psi then primer subing with in the two groups is irrelevant. Pressures won't change enough to make a difference. Cheddite primers are about the only ones you can find right now. So don't worry if the data calls for Win, Rem, Noble primers - they're all mild.
Shells in 12ga are either straight walled or tapered. The only tapered wall hulls are Win or Rem. And some new Federal hulls because they bought Remington reloading industry and label some of their shell Fed, but use Remington machinery. Most guys use a SW wad in a SW hull, and taper wad in a taper hull. The tapered wad will fit in a straight hull but you'll loose pressure. Straight wads won't fit in Tapered wall hulls.
As Brian said, with pressures in the 6 to 7000psi range you have a little leeway if the load is somewhat higher. Enough said - good luck. Find your powder first and build your load around it.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Found some loads; not sure of component sources
Unread 10-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #20
John Cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Found some loads; not sure of component sources

The Hodgdon reloading manual came with the MEC Sizemaster loader that I ordered. It had a number of 2 3/4 inch 12 GA loads that were in the 5,000's and 6,000s PSI, yielding 1150 to 1250 fps velocity.

I called Hodgdon to ask if they could tell me how those loads would change using 2 1/2 shells. I spoke to a fellow named Luke Otte who was very responsive. He would not comment on how the listed loads would change in 2 1/2, BUT, he sent me a table of loads for 2 1/2" shells with pressures between 6,600 and 7,000 and velocities ranging from 1075 to 1300 fps. pushing 7/8 or 1 oz of shot. They were for Bashieri & Pellagri, Cheddite, and Fiocchi shells. They all used Universal powder and either Cheddite 209 or Fiocchi 616 primers. Of course all the Fiocchi shells used Fiocchi 616 primers (I have some Cheddite 209's). For the B&P and Cheddite shells, they used BP CS12 Short wads. The Fiocchi loads used a variety of wads. I am trying to upload a Word document to share.

However, this leaves the issue of getting components. I found some sites saying that they have the Universal powder and a couple with the Fiocchi primers. The question I have is as to the legitimacy of some of them. They claim that the credit card companies and PayPal will not do business with gun related vendors. So they want you to use PayPal but selecting the option that it is a transfer of cash to a friend or family, not a business. The significance is that PayPal says that there is no recourse for those transfers.

So, I wanted to know if any of you have safely used online reloading vendors that did this and whether I can trust ordering and paying with this channel?

Thanks!

Tags
damascus barrels, low pressure, reloading