Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 07-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #21
Allen Peterson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I saw one working at our NAVHDA dog training club. Imported at great expense from Czechoslovakia. This one was a super dog.Kind of like a setter with the drive of a shorthair. Did tracking, Water work, pointing and retrieving,honoring the complete dog. Very rare breed in VA. but thats the only one I have seen work.
Allen Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allen Peterson For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2022, 01:37 PM   #22
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for that, Allen. Good to know some are capable of great work. I wish I had his skill as a trainer. My River seems to have a good nose. A couple of days after I brought him home I took him out in the bush about 10 minutes from home. There is an area of about 30 acres that had been cleared quite a few years ago and had grown up a bit. I was just walking slow in sparse waist high brush letting him smell everything. He got on a trail and I let him follow it. After a couple of minutes I looked over the brush about 35 yards ahead and locked eyes with a large fox kit in front of a 10 foot tall loose pile of bulldozed tree trunks. There was a fairly strong cross wind. I knelt down to snap on River's check cord and let him keep going. The kit was gone when I straightened up. River worked his way on the trail through the brush in an almost straight line to the spot the kit was and spent the next 5 minutes just processing the scent in about a 20 foot area. I called him off and we went on a cross wind angle to the direction we came. Just after we re-entered the scrub brush a kit broke from the brush down wind and bolted for the spot we left. It reached the pile, jumped off two logs and dove into the pile. Must have caught a second kit wandering from the den.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 07-29-2022, 12:39 PM   #23
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Mike, a correction is needed. UKC (United Kennel Club), not AKC, purchased American Field and along with it the FDSB registration.
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Jay For Your Post:
Unread 07-31-2022, 09:29 PM   #24
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

You are correct, I had my AKC/UKC confused. However, it was AKC that told my wife they were not registering more Setters.

Bob, that is a beautiful pup you have!! May you share many happy moments with that boy!!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!