Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

lee 20 ga round ball mould
Unread 07-10-2022, 06:09 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default lee 20 ga round ball mould

this evening I turned my lead pot on and made 10 round balls the size was.600.... I then cut the ends off some 20 ga field loads poured out the shot and put the round ball in this hull...I had to take the first load back apart the wad and the ball was to much thick...I cut the petals off the wad then had towrap the ball with paper to tighten up the ball were it would not fall out of the hull....shot 6 times at 30 paces at a news paper 3 rounds were with in a 12 inch circle the other 3 went to parts unknown.....I was shooting a h r 3 1-2 inch rifled slug gun with a red dot scope...thinking about trying and glue the ball to the cut off wad any body ever tried that...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #2
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,
I don't cast my own round balls, but I played around with something similar this past winter. I had some Hornady 50 cal. (495 in.) round balls lying around. 2 of them, in an SP 20 wad with a little grex, weighed approx. 7/8 oz. I put that into a 2 3/4 in. 20 ga. hull over a small charge of PB and closed it with a 6 point crimp. Firing at 20 yards through a Winchester model 37 that was choked Mod., both balls remained within four inches of one another and penetrated 3 inches of treated lumber.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

sounds like you have a good thing going in that round...it should get a deer or a pig at least up to 35 yards may be farther...I like the idea of shooting round balls now if I just can get them shooting accurate....hope to make it reliable out to 50 yards I will be satisified with it...charlie
Unread 07-22-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
Jack Kuzepski
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,

I just noticed this thread and got to thinking about having the wad follow the ball. I don't think glue is going to hold. If you look at the original Brenneke Rottweil slugs, they had a felt base wad but it was screwed into the center of the slug.

Jack
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I glued 3 of my round ball loads to the wad but aint shot them yet...I will get some small screws and try that method also...those breneke slugs were good loads....charlie
Unread 07-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,009 Times in 394 Posts

I shot smwe round ball slugs when I bought a real old Cape Gun with a 20ga bore rifle barrel (rifled barrel). The grooves measured around .660. so I found some .661 balls that shot great. Trouble with the .600 balls was what you ran into. The .661 shot great, being the proper size for mygun. However, there was not room in a plastic or paper hul for a shot cup wad with the .661 ball inside. I ended up using just a gas seal with the ball sitting on it, then roll crimped it. I also tried some brass shells with an 18ga nitro wad, a cushion wad, a cut down shot cup to center the ball and a Paradox crimp. These worked equally well.

In the little I have played with round ball, I have got the best accuracy in smooth bore barrels by using a ball as large as possible that will fit through the choke (manually check). This doesn't allow for a shotcup, so either us a gas seal or cut the petals off a regular wad. The cut down wad may not work because of length. Then lube the ball, put a pea of lube under the ball and roll crimp.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

will try your advice on the round ball...I no they want shoot like a rifle but I would like to have some accuracy out to 50 yards...I would like to take a pig and a deer with the round ball....I plan on using black powder with these loads....charlie