Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Wind.....
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,196 Times in 1,196 Posts

Default Wind.....

Wind is a funny thing, some days we want it and some days we don't

Give me gale force during the latter parts of duck season, that's when you really get into them. Give me a good stiff breeze goose hunting, just hard enough to where it gives them focus but doesn't blow over the decoys.

But for squirrel hunting, I want it dead flat calm or I normally don't go. Unfortunately squirrels are all there is to hunt around here right now. I've gotten up four morning in a row and it's been blowing every morning so I've just stayed home and cooked breakfast. Ugh.....

Season opens in Ontario on Saturday morning, I'll bet the wind lays right down for that.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

i ve done a few good hunts with the wind blowing but not many times..i like to hunt when its a light drizzle coming down..when that squirl jumps i can see the limb shakeand the water makes him a dead give away.... may the wind be calm in the morning.. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I vividly remember some of the better squirrel mornings of my youth, when the leaves were down and frosty and the silence roared in my ears. I'd strain to hear those far-off hickory cuttings falling to the forest floor and would slowly bring my 6x scope on my Mossberg bolt gun up to search for the source - they'd have to be dropping 1/2" ball bearings for me to hear them today! I agree Destry - it's gotta be still for squirrels.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I got up at 6am and it was flat calm so I slid into my overalls and old jacket then headed out the door. Good to be back in familiar hunting clothes again, we all know how that feels.

Hit the timber just at daylight, plenty chilly and nothing was moving yet. I walked all the way to the back end before I heard the first limb shake. A pair of fox squirrels up a big pin oak making a racket.

I managed to slip up close where I had a good clear shot at the first and dropped him out, the 2nd started off like devil's were chasing him but hesitated on a stub branch and I figured I had a true right and left on squirrels but the left barrel just snapped and nothing happened.

Should have taken a Parker but I wanted my childhood Lefever Nitro to get some action after it had been locked up at the gunsmith for the past two years. Apparently they don't test fire them even in all that time, the left barrel won't fire at all. I tried it a couple more times over the course of the morning and nothing.....

Went over to pick up the squirrel I did kill and soon as I had it in hand realized something was wrong. It had hard scabby knots all over it's hide from head to tail! Can't imagine what would cause that but I was scared to try and eat it so left it in the woods sadly. I hate to waste game but if you'd have seen it you would have left it too.

Moved on from there and a few minutes later had one start barking at me. Squirrel was real close but not moving, finally I caught a flip of it's tail and managed a snap shot. Nice young fox squirrel, no strange ailments apparent thankfully. By this time it was pushing 9:30 and I needed to start heading towards the truck. Got lucky and killed another one out of a pin oak on my way out of the woods so I've got enough for a meal.

The woods I tried won't hold many squirrels, there are no hickory in it at all and mighty few pin oaks, mostly maple and ash. I got permission from the owner on a fluke and thought I'd give it a try but believe my next hunt will be somewhere a bit more suited.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Nice Destry! Maybe that first one had worms. I killed one once that had a huge knot on the top of his head that turned out to be some kind of worm the size of the end of my little finger when I cut it out. It was something like the bot flies that infest our caribou up here and which bore in under the skin when the eggs hatch in the fur. The one I found had a breathing hole in the skin which is likely what you were seeing or it may have already have matured and crawled out and was healing over. They're harmless but definitely gross under any circumstances.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Unless you have a good dog or two to find 'em, tree 'em and hold 'em.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

we call them worms woves in the south..for many years every squirl you shot would have a wolf in it..they are not so bad now maybe 2 outa 10 have worms..by cold weather all of the woves come out and the squirl heals up..but as destrey done i leave the wolvie ones in the woods...good hunt destrey...i have a 16 ga stevens that will not fire on left barrel unless you use a specific brand of shells..fireing pin in mine to short on that side..i hope yours is just dirt under fireing pin... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Fred,

I'm still waiting on my invite to squirrel hunt with them dogs!

Charlie,

We never had wolves on squirrels down at home but the rabbits sure had them. You didn't want to shoot a rabbit till you'd had a hard frost or even two. On rabbits it seemed like they were always up on their neck. The marks on this squirrel looked different than the wolves I remember on rabbits but I'll bet it was something similar. I killed a squirrel up here several years ago that was in the process of getting over mange, it's hair had about half grown back.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

DH, You were-are welcome any time. However, my squirrel dogs and coon hounds have all gone to happier hunting grounds. All I have left are a couple of trashy (versitile) bird dogs who will get into squirrel every now and then when not occupied with their proper game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0387.JPG (61.2 KB, 0 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I should have come down ages ago I know, sorry I missed the squirrel dogs. I've got a bottle of Early Times for us when I do visit. *wink*

Destry
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: