Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

hope its raining
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default hope its raining

hope its raining in the morning gonna take the old parker 8 ga and blast some of the critters that are toting off thepecans over at my dads place...did not get to go this past saterday which was the season opener in mississippi for squirls..have not missed the first day of season in many years... i love hunting the fuzzy tail in the rain nothing like sneaking up on mr. fuzzy and watching him cut hickory nutd or water oak acorns.. i no the 8 bore is a little bit much of a squirl gun but heh it beats letting it set ting in the corner. figger i ll be the only fellar out there in the morning with a parker lifter 8 bore..she s got 26 1/4 inch barrels a brass sight that s big enough for anyone to see and no that sight aint parker origanal...choke is beyond cly and cly...shells will be winchester hulls 3 1/4 inch winchester 209 primer 40 grains blue dot powder 2 /1/4 ounce shot... yes the squirls are hard to bring down so im using proper ammo.... will report tommorrow... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good luck with the tree rats Charlie!
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,338 Times in 12,404 Posts

The words "Use enough gun." are obviously not wasted on Charlie.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, are those squirls from Texas? We sometimes have to use a 4ga.
Paul Plager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

them squirls must be from texas cause them are tough critters for sure..today was the best hunt ive ever had musta seen 30 squirls this morning...my son in law hunted with me between the 2 of us managed to bring down 25... allowed 16 each in possession....the old 8 brought down 5 squirls with 5 shells then i had carried 10 10 ga shells to shoot in the 8..well outa them 10 shells only 1 fired rite the rest of them were either duds orthe shot barely even got to the squirls..had 6 squirls in view and did not get a one of them on account of them bad shells...so went and got my 16 ga single barrel iver johnson and got 7 squirls with it...word of advice use big guns with lotta powder and no 5 shot or no 4.... them leaves will soak up a lotta lead ... boy did i get tired of cleaning squirls decided its more fun shooting them than skinning them now if i can find somebody to clean these things....well tommorrow is another storey.... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Charlie, I too find cleaning them to be an issue and stopped hunting them because they were such a pain to process. That is until I saw this video, now I want to hunt up a few for stew.

Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks bindlestiff for the film..will try this in a day or two..would be out hunting this morning but gotta take wife to the doc s office for a visit... this looks like a good way to skin squirls cant wait to try it...maybe this evening.... charlie
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Charlie, let us know if it as easy to do as it looks in the film...
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Wow you boys really did have quite a hunt! What were you shooting for 10 gauge shells that weren't wanting to go off?

That must have been a really young squirrel he was cleaning, the head and feet usually don't pull right off like that. But that's the same way I was taught to clean them and it's pretty easy that's for sure. I usually keep a pair of game shears handy to nip off the feet once I get the hide pulled down then my skinning knife to cut the neck.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

the old 10 ga shells i was shooting were the green high brass remington express loads...this is the first of this brand of remys s that have not done there job..i would guess these 10 shells were pre war shells..only one spapped but the rest barely got the shot out to the squirls... yep we truly had a good hunt. brad went back this morning and got his limit of 8 squirls... guess ill go in the morning... charlie