Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Reverse Chokes
Unread 01-23-2024, 12:12 AM   #1
Adam Steinquist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Reverse Chokes

How common was it for Parker to produce a gun with reverse chokes? I have a 1911 VH 16ga with a straight stock that patterns Modified in the right barrel and Improved Cylinder in the left barrel. I don’t have a bore gauge, so I can’t tell the constrictions properly, but a micrometer also reads .650” in the right barrel and .658” in the left barrel.

Because it was built in 1911, it precedes the development of skeet. I ordered a PGCA letter, hoping it might shed some light on what the chokes were from the factory, but there is no mention of choking or patterning. In looking at the tubes, I don’t see any tooling marks to indicate that someone altered the chokes.

The gun was originally ordered by a gentleman of Boston and when it was ordered there was a specified LOP, DAC, DAH, and Weight, but no mention of a request for choking.

I know in the UK it’s not uncommon to have doubles reverse choked for pass shooting. Was this a common choke arrangement for waterfowl? Were there other target shooting sports of that era that would have favored a reverse choke gun?

If these chokes are factory, it seems odd they wouldn’t have specifically been asked for when stock measurements and weight were requested.

Would love to hear if this community has any insight.
Adam Steinquist is offline   Reply With Quote