Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

seeking info about my 1875 Parker
Unread 08-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Kevin Hoag
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default seeking info about my 1875 Parker

Hi! I just joined PGCA and am trying to get as much history and info about my 1875 Parker as possible. It is a lifter hammer double barrel with a gold shield on the top of the stock. It has a "4" and PB inside a shield on the barrel lug. On the side of the barrel lug is "9838" and at the end of the barrel lug is a "D". On the flats it has "D" lower "6" then "12" lower "604" (the 6 is smaller than the 04). Can anyone tell me what these markings mean? Also on the flats is "PATD. APR 11, 1876. The barrel is approximately 27 7/8" long and has PARKER BROS, MAKERS, MERIDIAN CONN, DAMASCUS STEEL, on the underside of the barrel surrounded by a lot of engraving up and down the barrel. I will try to have pictures of the gun up soon. Also, I believe this is a 10 gauge because of the "4" on the barrel lug. Any help in identifying the grade and where I should search for the history on this gun would be appreciated. Also, this gun was in my family in upstate New York in late 1800s and early 1900's. Thanks, Kevin
Kevin Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,423 Times in 4,595 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for joining and posting about your Parker. The Serial number of your Parker is 9838 as stamped on the side of the barrel lug. Please do post pictures of your Parker and post many.
I would assume that given how early your gun is, that it most likely has most first variation features such as flush hinge pin, 2pc. lifter and keyed forend. Maybe even a plugged lifter pin in the top of the frame.

The description of a 4 inside of a circle with some other markings does not sound right to be a frame size marking. Pics will help with this. I may be mistaken, but I do not think that Parker was working with multiple frame sizes on these early guns.
Unread 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice to hear you got the gun with so much of your family history. I have 4402 - a 12ga lifter, and as Brian said it has the flush hinge pin, keyed forearm, 2 pc lifter with pin that comes up through the reciever when open. Does yours have the straight stock ? They seem to be a very nicely balanced gun. I shoot mine all the time with low pressure loads. I had only one problem - the gun was a tad loose. The reciever had spread a touch at the hinge pin. Brad Bachelder [ a master gunsmith in Michigan ] corrected it. Should have ask how. Maybe just a slight squeeze in a vice ? He said if it happened again we'd have to case harden it. Anyways, hope you get the info you want, and shoot it - that's what it was made for.
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Kevin Hoag
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brian, Thanks for replying. I misled you on the "4" ;it wasn't inside the shield; only the PB was inside the shield and the "4" was stamped near it. Also, not sure about the variation features, i'll have to post pictures. I hope to get a friend to help me with pics this weekend.
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Kevin Hoag
Forum Associate

Member Info

Paul, thanks for the encouragement and info. I do plan on shooting this gun soon. Kevin

Tags
10 gauge, 1875, damascus steel, lifter hammer, pheasants