Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 08-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Aaron, if you had known Peat, you would know the answer is “both!” Peat always thought he was a human.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #12
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

On the subject of the upcoming hunting season, I see that there are some positive things included in the about-to-be passed big federal bill that has been in the works for some time. While the media only concentrates on politically sensitive aspects of the bill, it appears that there are some "angels in the details" for hunters to look forward to. Here's a recap from the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership that might be of interest to many of us who hunt, especially on public lands.

https://www.trcp.org/2022/08/03/five...a&ceid=1685894
Unread 08-19-2022, 10:44 PM   #13
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

I haven’t heard grouse drum on my property in almost two decades. I went on an egg eater smear campaign two years ago and removed over a 100 raccoons, almost 50 possum, a grey Fox, and a bobcat with permit on my property. For the last 2 spring turkey seasons I have multiple grouse drumming every morning now. I have had them walk by me several times as well. I also have woodcock all over now. Previous to two years ago I’ve only seen a total of 2 wood cock since the early 70’s.
Cory Rams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cory Rams For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2022, 11:00 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Great art and great news on the wildlife front! Particularly good since the news is usually bad.
Unread 08-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #15
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Rams View Post
I haven’t heard grouse drum on my property in almost two decades. I went on an egg eater smear campaign two years ago and removed over a 100 raccoons, almost 50 possum, a grey Fox, and a bobcat with permit on my property. For the last 2 spring turkey seasons I have multiple grouse drumming every morning now. I have had them walk by me several times as well. I also have woodcock all over now. Previous to two years ago I’ve only seen a total of 2 wood cock since the early 70’s.
In this age of predator protection by governmental agencies many have no idea what an impact they have on game birds. Yours is a great example of how much can be done to help reverse it. Sixty years ago there were counties in Georgia that actually paid a bounty on hawks. AIR my cousins in Camden Co. were paid $2 each for them. But .......... we are sooooo much wiser, now.

And the result is that, here, the really efficient woods dwelling hawks, such as the Cooper's and Sharp-shinned, have exploded in numbers, and wreak havoc on small game, songbirds, and small gamebird populations.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #16
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have had red tail hawks swoop and hit my turkey decoys three times in the last two spring seasons. If I could legally remove them they would be gone as well.
Cory Rams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Rams For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #17
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I often have hawks of all flavors try to attack my Mojo dove decoys, on a dove field.

A couple years ago I was shooting a field and had a Mojo on a 10' tall piece of conduit stuck in the ground. I was in a camo blind. I saw a mature eagle coming my way and realized it was interested in my decoy. It turned away at a close distance after seeing me in the blind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Although I'm not in favor of returning to the old days of "shoot every hawk you see," I do think that some killing of hawks might be in order. I know that predator populations are dependent upon prey levels, but I think we have come too far to assume that humans don't factor into the equation. Why not harvest some avian predators? I know the reason...we have created a mindset among the non-hunting public to not kill any apex prey species. It makes no biological sense to me. That's my opinion...probably not humble enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #19
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Although I'm not in favor of returning to the old days of "shoot every hawk you see," I do think that some killing of hawks might be in order. I know that predator populations are dependent upon prey levels, but I think we have come too far to assume that humans don't factor into the equation. Why not harvest some avian predators? I know the reason...we have created a mindset among the non-hunting public to not kill any apex prey species. It makes no biological sense to me. That's my opinion...probably not humble enough.
You nailed it, Garry. I could not have expressed it that well.
Unread 08-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #20
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Any good hawk recipes? They hammer our quail in South Texas.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post: