Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

newbie found a parker Trojan in CT
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Aaron Bernstein
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default newbie found a parker Trojan in CT

A little follow up to my new-member post with some pics.
First: long story short, my friends mother found grandpa's old guns in the basement and told dad "they got to go" it just so happens that mom works in town hall and saw my pistol permit application come across her desk. so the next time i'm over up he comes from the basement with 3 pre-ww2 shotguns and a 1938 Winchester .22. I nearly soiled myself when I saw"Parker Bros Makers Meriden CT" on the barrel!

the next day forms are signed and the state was called and they are mine. spiders and all
I cleaned them up some, bore is nice and shiny now, except for some pitting at the chokes and dirty chambers

here's a photo of the lot after some ballistol and steel wool

Yes thats my foot, no that is not my purse

I don't have anymore "before" shots of the Trojan but to give you an example of the extent of the rust on all of these guns here's the barrel of that Winchester Model 61

anywhoo, after some basic gun care (30 years too late)

i offered him $500 and he said "just take it"

I have no intention of restoring this gun and i couldn't afford that anyway, i definitely would if this was a higher-grade collectors piece, but it seems like this was a "working gun", well used for target, clays, upland, turkey, and behind-the-ktichen-door critter gitter.
I want to return it to good working condition, but have a few questions:

For a 10%-20% Trojan 12ga #2 with a tight lockup and beat up wood, what should i do before i load her up? aside from basic care, i kind of want to leave it looking as-is for now but want to know about checking out the chambers and the chokes.
How do these things take modern ammo? high-brass? I know no steel shot for waterfowl, how about foster slugs?

I'll have more info for everyone this weekend, i'm pretty sure the Dean of the college, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts frown on students doing gunsmithing in the dorms.

Thanks in advance for Your interest and advice, this is a wonderful welcoming community and I look forward to becoming a member soon. I'm so excited to have stumbled into a world of appreciation for artistry and quality craftsmanship than originated in my own back yard (i've worked in Meriden for 7 years before going back to school).

Thank You
Aaron Bernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

Looks like you got a great buy on your first Parker there! Looks like a very Honest and solid gun.
Might want to hit those barrels with some oil and a frontier pad or 0000 steel wool to remove the light surface rust.
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Aaron Bernstein
Forum Associate

Member Info

oh almost forgot... Is it safe to dry fire this Trojan, as far as I can tell it has single piece hammer/firing pins and the disassembly instructions say to dry fire before takedown.

obviously if i snap it all the time eventually something will break, i do plan on getting some snap caps eventually.
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

do you have a couple fired shells - cut them down so they are obviously not live when you look for them. knock the primer out with a thin nail or rod and fill the hole with rubber sealant - that will last for a few tries
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Harry Reed
PGCA Member

Member Info

A Browning A5, .22 pump and another semi-auto shotgun along with your Parker. Enjoy You are living right. As for firing the Parker, carefully study the barrels for any dents, bulges (however slight) or other signs of stress. If they appear sound they probably are. You have stated that it locks up tight. I would be comfortable with game loads and #7 or #8 shot. Remember, the wood on this gun is nearly 100 years old. Heavier loads are more likely to harm the wood then anything else.

Oh, looks like one of your other shotguns has a Cutts Compensator on the end of the barrel. The tube on the end is threaded and can be changed to other chokes. The tubes are hard to find, but are still around.
Harryreed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harryreed For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

My home made snap caps use a pencil eraser in the primer pocket
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

That sure is a nice haul there. I got a Fox Sterlingworth 16 that had worse rust spots than yours and they came right off with oil and steel wool. There is still some light spotting where the rust was, but that just makes me worry less about it when shooting it.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Aaron Bernstein
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryreed View Post
A Browning A5, .....
Oh, looks like one of your other shotguns has a Cutts Compensator on the end of the barrel. The tube on the end is threaded and can be changed to other chokes. The tubes are hard to find, but are still around.
It's a Savage 720, a licenced copy of the Auto 5 made in the USA with the same parts as a Remington mod 11 i want to try and find a magnum barrel for it

and the comp choke is a "Savage Super choke" its like a cross between the lyman cutts and a poly choke, it's missing the outer adjustment tube so I might try and remove it. all of the replacements I can find come with a barrel, receiver and stock attached
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Harry Reed
PGCA Member

Member Info

They can be removed. I had one on a Browning Sweet 16 and had it removed. If it is a poly, the barrels will have narrow slits in the end of the barrel so when it is tightened the choke is tighter and when it is loosened the choke is opened. Removing a poly is more of a problem then removing a cutts. Be aware, after removal the barrel must still be over 16 inches.
Harryreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryreed View Post
Be aware, after removal the barrel must still be over 16 inches.
i thought it was 18 inches

Tags
pictures, restoration, trojan