Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

Unread 08-03-2023, 09:13 AM   #41
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

Although not a Parker shotgun, my Staff Assistant many years ago was on the search for a wood cook stove.
She had many found memories of her grandmother cooking on the stove in El Paso Texas. She tried to find out were it went but no one in the family could recall where it may have gone. She had a picture in her minds eye of it and did some research and found it was a pretty common Maker, Glenwood as I recall.
It took some searching but eventually she found one in El Paso. It was purchased and the professionally restored, including rechroming some pieces.
She never cooked on it but it but it sat beautifully in her ranch style home in the family room.

As suggested already join PGCA and as a member advertise you are looking for a VH made in 1908, you might find a 16 gauge made that year that was delivered in the local vicinity.
Moraima always referred to her stove as her grandmothers stove. Maybe it was but most likely not but it satisfied her desire and brought back great memories for her.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2023, 09:49 AM   #42
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
Although not a Parker shotgun, my Staff Assistant many years ago was on the search for a wood cook stove.
She had many found memories of her grandmother cooking on the stove in El Paso Texas. She tried to find out were it went but no one in the family could recall where it may have gone. She had a picture in her minds eye of it and did some research and found it was a pretty common Maker, Glenwood as I recall.
It took some searching but eventually she found one in El Paso. It was purchased and the professionally restored, including rechroming some pieces.
She never cooked on it but it but it sat beautifully in her ranch style home in the family room.

As suggested already join PGCA and as a member advertise you are looking for a VH made in 1908, you might find a 16 gauge made that year that was delivered in the local vicinity.
Moraima always referred to her stove as her grandmothers stove. Maybe it was but most likely not but it satisfied her desire and brought back great memories for her.
Phil

I had a similar experience with a gun, one which actually never existed.

When my dad was young (11 years old in 1926) he lived on a dirt poor farm with his 12 siblings. He badly wanted a rifle to hunt rabbits and squirrels. Ammo was 1 cent/round at the general store. He decided to sell Rosebud Salve to his neighbors who were as poor as they were. He worked all summer while not working on the farm, walking and selling salve in order to win a Stevens Boy's Rifle. At the end of the summer he completed the order for the several cases he needed to sell and sent in the order along with the collected money. The orders arrived and were delivered. He waited and waited, but his rifle never arrived.

The first year after I graduated from engineering school, I located a mint condition rifle of that model. When he unwrapped the rifle at Christmas, I saw my Dad break down in tears for the first time in his life. He sat and held it for an hour after opening. Often you can't over estimate the importance of some of the memories in your life.
Arthur Shaffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2023, 11:10 AM   #43
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
Phil

I had a similar experience with a gun, one which actually never existed.

When my dad was young (11 years old in 1926) he lived on a dirt poor farm with his 12 siblings. He badly wanted a rifle to hunt rabbits and squirrels. Ammo was 1 cent/round at the general store. He decided to sell Rosebud Salve to his neighbors who were as poor as they were. He worked all summer while not working on the farm, walking and selling salve in order to win a Stevens Boy's Rifle. At the end of the summer he completed the order for the several cases he needed to sell and sent in the order along with the collected money. The orders arrived and were delivered. He waited and waited, but his rifle never arrived.

The first year after I graduated from engineering school, I located a mint condition rifle of that model. When he unwrapped the rifle at Christmas, I saw my Dad break down in tears for the first time in his life. He sat and held it for an hour after opening. Often you can't over estimate the importance of some of the memories in your life.

Great story and gesture on your part Art.
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Woods For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2023, 09:35 PM   #44
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Art that was a good thing you did, I am sure that the memories came flooding back to your dad, brought back some memories of my own, as a kid I collected the coupons of Tube Rose Snuff, and could trade them for things in their catalouge Shame on the Rose Bud Salve folks, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 08-23-2023, 02:07 AM   #45
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,318 Posts

That 16 gauge could still be with a family member. As others have mentioned, your family might be your best shot at finding out what happened to the gun. Do keep us posted about your quest.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!