Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Fun with a beat up VH 12
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Fun with a beat up VH 12

The NSTRA West Texas Regional championship field trial was this last weekend.

My bird dog handling student Steve Morse and I had met at the trial grounds to practice the weekend before and noticed that thousands of pigeons were flying over.

We met again Friday morning at 6:30AM with plans to shoot pigeons for a little while and then work our dogs in preparation for the Regional championship trial Saturday and Sunday.

We killed about 60 pigeons in about 45 minutes. Steve ran out of shells and I had to sell him some. He was complaining about paying $5 per cartridge but I told him to just run to town if he didn't want to buy mine.

Then we planted quail and worked four dogs until about 3:00PM that afternoon. It was really miserable after about 9:00AM with the wind blowing 40 to 50 mph and the dust and sand driven into everything. It wasn't as bad for Morse as he had a lot better company than I did.

Ya'll know how I hate to brag on my dogs but I know many of you have a keen interest in them so I strive to keep you informed of their accomplishments. Molly won second in the Saturday quarter-finals and my Red won 3rd (2nd Runnerup) in the region overall on Sunday. There were a lot of very good dogs there and we had some luck but Red really exceeded my expecations and his training and handling. Three of my dogs qualified for the regional trial, Molly, Belle, and Red.

Proving that even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then my bird dog handling/training student Steve Morse's dog Duece won first in the quarter finals Saturday. Steven has really learned a lot about bird dogs under my tutelage.

The Parker is a VH 12 I bought in Tulsa 3 years ago. It had a cracked wrist, the toe of the stock had been chipped and then sanded off. It was loose, off face, has a repaired ring bulge in the left barrel, and the top rib bends slightly at the ring bulge (probably from the ring bulge repair), and the trigger pulls were 1-1/2 and 8 pounds. And I got it for only $250! And after I paid Keith Kearcher about $750 and David Yale another $300 and USPS another $50 it is in tip top mechanical condition and I could get $200 for it easy. I forgot to mention that you can tell that it had checkering at one time. Oh, and the automatic safety didn't work and that is mandatory for me for a field gun.

It has 30" barrels and I had the chokes opened up to cylinder and .015", weighs 8lbs even with the sling swivels and sling, has trigger pulls of 3-1/2 and 4 pounds, stock is 14-1/2 x 1-7/8 x 2-7/8, and it won't miss a pen raised quail during a field trial. For the field trials I shoot 1-1/8oz of #9s out of the right barrel and 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2s out the left. I shot 1-1/8 ounce of 7-1/2s at the pigeons.

The pigeon shooting was a blast. That was my first first time ever to pass-shoot pigeons. The dogs had a great time rounding up the downed birds and the profit on my cartridge sales paid for my whole weekend!

Best,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker BBS 1.jpg (429.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Parker BBS 2.jpg (527.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Parker BBS 3.jpg (484.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Mike Shepherd; 04-18-2011 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: age related dementia
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Shepherd For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,425 Times in 12,427 Posts

That's a great post Mike. I may use that line from time to time "_____ had much better company than I did." with your permission. I get the impression I'll likely have to pay you royalties each time I use it though...
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

Mike,
Glad to hear from a fellow Texan.
Been to West Texas many times.
What do pidgens eat out there,Dirt ?
Really enjoyed the story...Bill
william faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Larry Mason
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by william faulk View Post
Mike,
Glad to hear from a fellow Texan.
Been to West Texas many times.
What do pidgens eat out there,Dirt ?
Really enjoyed the story...Bill
Looks like they filled them selves up with 1 7/8 oz shot!
Great looking pups.
Larry Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Mason For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you Dean. And I stole that "better company" bit from my friend Tubby so if you need to send royalties let me know and I will send you his contact info.

And thanks William. And they certainly ate some dirt in the dust storm they were flying in.

Best,

Mike
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The pigeon shooting sounds like big fun. You could make a hell of a native-style seagull soup by just tossing them into a cut off gas drum of water on a good fire and letting them 'steep a bit.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Richard that might work as we are having another trial Memorial Day and that would be a fun lunch. I guess they skin, gut, behead, and then throw them in whole? I went to college with some Bohunks from El Campo and they cooked Mourning dove that way. Do the native Alaskans add any spices or potatoes or something?

Best,

Mike
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Jim Akins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mike, you might try the recipe I saw on TV the other day. The folks in Greenland don't have any Pigeons so they use Auks, they just stuff them in a seal skin (as caught, guts feathers and all) and stash them under a pile of rocks until winter. Supposed to be quite a treat, Probably wouldn't work in Texas, so you would have to move north.
Jim Akins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Akins For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

Mike is as far North as he can go and still be in Texas !
william faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to william faulk For Your Post: