Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

End of an Era and Passing of an Icon
Unread 11-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Default End of an Era and Passing of an Icon

For those of you who have not heard, Babe Del Grego died Friday in Ilion NY. Below is the link for his obiturary. RIP, my old friend.

eneafuneralhomes.com

Pete has provided the direct link below. Thanks Pete.

Last edited by Kevin McCormack; 11-27-2022 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: expanded reference
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

https://eneafuneralhomes.com/tribute...#tribute-start
Unread 11-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,790 Times in 4,721 Posts

I first contacted Larry Del Grego Sr. forty years ago to work on my 28 gauge VH. My dad took the gun to the Del Grego shop and took the pictures that are included in the articles written by Kevin McCormack. In the years following, Larry Sr., and Babe became good friends of mine although I didn't meet Babe in person until I visited with Kevin some years later. By that time, Larry was gone. Our meetings and friendships were through gunsmithing projects. Our conversations by letter and phone were just the light of my Parker life.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2022, 04:25 PM   #4
Tom Wooden
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I am sad to hear of the passing of Lawrence "Babe" Del Grego, the PGCA and Parker Gun enthusiasts are grateful for all of the work and support that Babe and the entire Del Grego family has done to support the PGCA and the Parker Gun. Clearly, the high level of interest and popularity of the Parker Gun would not be where it is today if Babe and family did not become “The Parker Gun Mechanics” following Remington discontinuing the Parker Gun manufacturing. Babe was a Life Member and longtime supporter of the PGCA. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Babe at the Parker Gun Foundation Hall of Fame Induction Dinner for his father. Babe was full of information and stories related to the mechanics and history of the Parker Gun; I could have talked to him for hours. Babe will be missed by the Parker Gun and double gun communities. My thoughts and prayers are with the Del Grego family as they go through this very difficult time.

Tom Wooden
Tom Wooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Babe!
Unread 11-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,069 Times in 169 Posts

Default Babe!

Several years ago I visited Babe in Illion. I had my Father’s old VH 12 gauge that had a doubling problem when pulling the rear trigger first. Babe took the floor plate off and did a bit of filing on one of the sears while talking the whole time. In a matter of a few minutes he was through and the gun put back together. It is my go to gun today and has never doubled again! Babe was a MASTER in servicing the Parker gun! Always think of him every time I shoot it!
Thank you my friend. You will be missed but not forgotten!
Service those Parkers in Heaven! 😇
Bill
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mullins For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Way back in 2000 I was in Ilion attending the Remington Police Armorer course. After class one afternoon I stopped by the Del Grego shop and Babe happened to be there. It was a joy to meet him and his son Larry. What started as just a visit to see it turned into quite the Parker history lesson. I forget what time I made it back to my hotel room, but it was time well spent. Very sorry to hear of his passing.
Alfred Houde is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Scott Kittredge and I went on a grand adventure together on my 50th B-day in 2007 when we drove out to Ilion and visited Larry DelGrego & Sons to have a couple guns worked on. We met Babe and got to talk with him. I wish I could remember all the details of things he talked about and things he showed us. His passing is sad but he surely had a good run. There is an old saying that really seems to apply in his case, "When an elder dies a library burns to the ground". Thanks for the memories, R.I.P. Babe. Condolences to his family.
Unread 11-27-2022, 07:21 PM   #8
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

Ten yrs ago my wife and I drove out to DelGregos shop and dropped of my granfathers 16 ga Parker VH to be completely restored with new wood et al. We met both Babe and Lawrence. They both were extremely gracious and helpful. Will never forget meeting those two masters.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2022, 09:33 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Forrest Marshall had them do several A-1 Special upgrades over the years . And each year a gun was completed I assume this gentleman would drive it down and Forrest would have a cocktail party unveiling . I wasn’t a direct invitee but was asked once by an invitee if I’d like to attend , sorry to say I wasn’t able to take them up on it .
Unread 11-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #10
Louis Parker
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Having met Larry and Babe Delgado in the early 90s, I can say Babe was a true gentleman and master of his chosen trade. I regret circumstances were such that we didn't have more time together. It was also at the DelGrego's shop that I met Robert Runge, a true artisan and gentleman who was of immeasurable help with Chapters 1 & 2 of TPS.
Louis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Louis Parker For Your Post: