Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A great piece of hunting gear
Unread 11-19-2022, 10:34 PM   #1
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Default A great piece of hunting gear

I really appreciate a good piece of hunting gear, and want others to know about it when I find one, because there's so much crap out there that's peddled as being the best thing since sliced bread. About 20 years ago I bought a duck hunting shoulder bag at Mack's Prairie Wings store in Stuttgart. It was big enough to meet my needs for a morning, or evening, hunt but not so big as to be bulky and cumbersome, and is so comfortable that you can shoot unhindered while wearing it. It was made by McAlister, of waxed cotton. As is the case with so many great items it was discontinued, and I despaired that something would happen to mine and I could never find another. So, I set out on a quest to find another like it, and finally did.I am, however, still using the original, it is so well made. The replacement waits patiently in the gunroom.

Fast forward a lot of years and I receive a MPW catalog in the mail earlier this week. While perusing it my eyes fall upon what I never expected to see for sale again, the McAlister waxed cotton ditty bag, still sold with the accoutrements. I have no financial interest in McAlister or MPW, my only interest here is in giving two thumbs up to a company that makes a great product, and introducing others to it. Here's a link to the bag at Mack's. BTW, the two duck straps will stow in an outside pocket on the backside when not in use, leaving the interior of the bag empty and uncluttered.

The only additional piece of "gear" I keep in mine (besides shells and snacks) is a couple of screw-in, vinyl covered tree steps that I use to hang the bag, or my gun, on a tree when standing in waist deep water. Very handy. If anyone would like to see a pic of the step/hooks I'll snap one and add it to this thread.

https://www.mackspw.com/McAlister-Wa...shot-Ditty-Bag

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 11-20-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Stan, I agree. These are great little bags. I’ve had one for many years, and it has served me well.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: