Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A case for Remington Parkers
Unread 11-28-2022, 11:56 PM   #1
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default A case for Remington Parkers

I know a few people on the site don't care much for the Remington Parkers but after reading some information from the Remington archives I am reassured that Remington continued the Parker quality and even improved some features. Remington decided to upgrade the quality of the wood -they improved the ejector problems that was a problem on some early Parkers and starting double fitting(tight tolerances that are hand honed to fit) the Parkers like high grade European double guns. I personally like the early Remington Parkers top of the ribs being marked with the barrel steel that was eliminated on the very late guns. Other than that- I'm a big fan of the Remington Parkers guns and can't find much to complain about.
John Bastiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2022, 01:24 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I’m with you John!
Of the various periods or eras of Parker gun production I think the Remington era produced some very lovely guns in their own right. Each period had its own good points as well as some not so good points. I appreciate the Remington Parkers very much.
I used to be a purist but I no longer am.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 07:29 AM   #3
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

John I couldn't agree more. I have a GHE 20, #242XXX. There are lots of things to like about the gun. The stock dimensions are very modern with a long length of pull. The wood is outstanding. I also like that the splinter forend is actually larger than the earlier guns which seems to fit my large hands better. I like all eras of Parker guns!
Unread 11-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Keep in mind that many skeet guns, all 1/2 frame guns, and some other variations of Parkers were exclusively or almost exclusively Remington guns. My 28 and .410 skeet guns will be among the last to go.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

Remington Parkers are fine. And other than Dirty Harry, I don't know who else may have an issue with them. He thinks the only "REAL" Parkers were the ones built at Meriden under original ownership.

They have their own features that are unique to them, that are just another step in the line of the Parker Evolution. Really when it comes down to it, the guns are not all that different from the Meriden built guns of the late '20s and early '30s. Most if not all of the cost cutting measures to the shaping of the guns were already implemented by that time. Ie: the shallower shoe filing on the frames, the elimination of the barrel bead extension, the safety button redesign, etc... Once Remington and Ilion came into play, the major changes were the Markings on the frame, barrel, grip caps and buttplates. Ilion guns changed the checkering border design and the stock combs and grips were a little different at the very end too.

In my experience, Later remington built guns often mean higher condition guns, as they are newer and were used less. That is a plus. And they usually mean nicer wood on the lower grade guns.
Unread 11-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Remington Parkers are fine. And other than Dirty Harry, I don't know who else may have an issue with them. He thinks the only "REAL" Parkers were the ones built at Meriden under original ownership.

They have their own features that are unique to them, that are just another step in the line of the Parker Evolution. Really when it comes down to it, the guns are not all that different from the Meriden built guns of the late '20s and early '30s. Most if not all of the cost cutting measures to the shaping of the guns were already implemented by that time. Ie: the shallower shoe filing on the frames, the elimination of the barrel bead extension, the safety button redesign, etc... Once Remington and Ilion came into play, the major changes were the Markings on the frame, barrel, grip caps and buttplates. Ilion guns changed the checkering border design and the stock combs and grips were a little different at the very end too.

In my experience, Later remington built guns often mean higher condition guns, as they are newer and were used less. That is a plus. And they usually mean nicer wood on the lower grade guns.
Thanks for pointing out all of the changes in the transition period from Parker to Remington ownership. Could you explain to me -what you mean by barrel bead extension? I also know that on my late GHE 20ga.(Ilion)that there is no middle bead like thats on my earlier Remington Parkers. The DHE 28ga.skeet has a Ivory middle and front bead.-where my 410 has a steel middle and front.
Unread 11-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #7
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

I have some experience with Remington era guns, and agree with the above.
Where else could you find A1 Special (and above) level wood on a DHE?
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

John, that would be the "bead" in the frame sculpting, that was small but somewhat time-consuming, which met with the lower "bead" of the barrel flats when the action was closed.

One has the bead while the other doesn't.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1891 DH w Vulcan Barrels.jpg (480.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 230160 3.jpg (76.0 KB, 351 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2022, 12:03 PM   #9
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
John, that would be the "bead" in the frame sculpting, that was small but somewhat time-consuming, which met with the lower "bead" of the barrel flats when the action was closed.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking something completely different.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Bastiani For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The best shooting Parker for me that I've ever owned is a 1-1/2 frame 26" SG blonde-stocked VH12. I took over 50 birds at a Utah preserve with that gun one day. I just couldn't seem to miss that day. My inherited VHE20 is also a Remington era gun and doesn't have "Parker" or "Parker Bros" engraved anywhere on the receiver except on one of the flats. The blonde VH12 has "PARKER" engraved across the front of the bottom of the receiver.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: