Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Almost didn't turn around
Unread 11-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #1
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Almost didn't turn around

On the way to my daughters this morning for a visit I passed a small gunshop on the other side of the highway. I had a little time to kill and decided to turn around and take a look and see if they had anything worthwhile. After checking out the racked guns and finding just the usual assortment of semi-autos and pump guns I asked the owner if he had any SxS's. He allowed me behind the counter and took me into a small area toward the back of the shop. There, in a corner, were about 6-8 damascus SxS's. When I asked if they were for sale he seemed reluctant and told me that they aren't safe to shoot. After a few minutes of back and forth I purchased 3 of them for $600.00. Two were JABC's, but in good shape and on face with minimal pitting. The third was a W.W. Greener 20 gauge with some light exterior rust and bores that were quite dirty. This gun was also tight and on face but I'm not sure how much of the grime in the bores will be fouling or pitting. This will be my winter project.
Moral of the story is that it pays to never pass by that nondescript little gunshop.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,061 Times in 283 Posts

I have a small shop I past daily on my way home from work. Once a week I'll stop and look. I've bought several from there. I've also picked up several Boyt cases for pennies on the dollar! A small place with an owner I've know for years. Everyone knows you by name.

Chris, AZ
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 11-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

you fellows are lucky to have such gun shops..once in a blue moon does any thing being of interest comes my way...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote