Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Late day Pheasants
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,649 Times in 1,120 Posts

Default Late day Pheasants

Got a bit of a late start today and almost decided not to go ,I am really glad I took advantage of the nice day here in SW Pa. . My buddy for the day canceled out on me last evening as he shot a small Black Bear late yesterday afternoon the last day of the Pa. Regular Bear season . Of course I had other things to do today any way ,but by late morning had decided I just had to get in the field ! I loaded up my nine year old Britt ,Chip and drove about twenty miles or so to the first field , the fields are way off the beaten path and on the way in ,I passed two truck loads of hunters and two kennels of Dogs in each truck !When I parked up on the hill ,I figured ,all those dogs and hunters in the big fields ,had to move some birds ,so figuring a Rooster will fly with the wind at his back and off the high points ,I would naturally hunt the bottoms !Well ,I ran into a late flight of Woodcock and Chip pointed bird after bird on a sunny rise just up from the creek bottom ,they are out of season here now ,but we moved more than a half dozen birds in that first draft ,turned ,and came back into the wind and Chip was Quartering beautifully ,without any instruction ,when he struck a beautiful poiint ,I came in below and saw his eyes move to his left ,I knew the bird had moved ,I told Chip to release and he relocated about twenty yards to his left ,my right ,his eyes were fixed as only a bird dog can ,and as I moved in towards those bulging brown eyes a beautiful long tailed Rooster burst from cover giving me a beautiful right to left rising and crossing shot ,one shot from my CHE 20 Ga. and he crumpled , in a minute Chip arrived with a gorgeous Rooster ! Already a great day and not out even forty five minutes ! We repeated this a few more times on Hen birds minus the shooting and finally Chip started slowing down and creeping ,I knew he had made game ,he was turning across the front of me at about twenty yards ,angling right to left when he finally stretched out like a cat ready to pounce ,I circled around the high side figuring the bird was right under his nose and would flush to the open side ,but I ended up between Bird and Dog ,The big Rooster busted up behind my left shoulder and swung around left to right really flying with the wind at his back ,I swung that old Parker as fast as I could to get ahead of his beak and slapped the trigger ,I don't know which one of us was the most suprised ,the Rooster or me when the feathers looked like a balloon bursting and he hit the ground about forty yards down field ,I got Chip on him quick ,a lot of commotion fast ,we recovered the bird stone dead about ten yards from where I marked him . We moved and pointed a total of eleven birds in a little less than two hours hunting . A great day out and I almost didn't even go ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,780 Times in 636 Posts

Great story and really nice pictures Russ. Anyone who has never hunted behind a good bird dog has no idea the joy they are missing.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,731 Posts

Sounds like a great day indeed. Russ is that the C 20 that I missed seeing two years ago and almost saw but didn,t this year. You know the one Romig has dreams about? Fabulous gun Russ......Happy Thanksgiving to you and your's.
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Good Evening Dave ,Yes this is the one ,I almost ,hated to post the pics. ,I don't want to keep Dean awake at night ,having any thoughts he shouldn't be having ! I sure hope to make it next year ,and if I do ,I promise ,I will drag it along ! Russ
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,227 Times in 834 Posts

Hey Russ..!!!

Those pics are outstanding!!!

Later this week - I'll put up another Parker of the Month Contest... Those pics definitely will have to be in the race....

(I think folks are still recovering from the last POM Contest..??!! )

Very great post and pics..!!!

John
John Dunkle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Hi John ,and thank you for the nice compliments ,and I also wanted to thank you for the outstanding job you do for all of us on our forum ! FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Frey View Post
Great story and really nice pictures Russ. Anyone who has never hunted behind a good bird dog has no idea the joy they are missing.
Larry ,There is nothing to take the place of a well trained dog in the field or at home ! I have had Britts. for the last fifteen years and sad to say ,I missed our Bear season this year as this past weekend we had to put our old Friend and Hunting dog and House pet down due to a cancerous tumor ,Maggie was also Chips Mother ,the dog I am talking about in this story ,I retired Maggie four years ago because of arthritis in her knees ,after hunting ,she would be down for two or three days ! We miss her greatly ! This is a relatively recent picture ,she is nearly fifteen years old here ! Russ
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Love the straight grips... Beautiful gun!
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile

Great pictures, a beautiful little 20 gauge, some good wing shooting, a great working dog, Man what a wonderful day..Just what memories are made of..

John
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John R. Richards For Your Post: