Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Chokes in Damascus?
Unread 04-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Chokes in Damascus?

I've come across a Damascus gun I really like BUT, barrels were cut and the gun now measures CYL x CYL. That's a big issue for me. I know of no way to restore the constriction in the barrels except installing chokes. Is it possible to have screw-in chokes installed to Damascus barrels??? I know this is kinda sacrilegious but it's a nice gun, I like it, and would put it back in the field. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Thoughts and opinions?
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

I'd like to hear about that possibility too, Keith. I can tell you this. Mike Orlen is very hesitant to do ANYTHING to damascus barrels. I don't know if it is because of his view of liability concerns, or what. But, I sent him a set of Remington damascus barrels to be very lightly honed to remove most of some pits and he was extremely reluctant. He eventually acceded but I could tell he didn't want to. I don't believe he would install choke tubes, unless he has changed his stance on damascus.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I know there are several very skilled Damascus guys around. I'm hoping a couple of them might chime in and offer an opinion. I don't really see why this would not be possible. If so I think there are a number of nice guns somebody screwed up over the years that, while they will never be correct collector guns again (cut barrels IS cut barrels as someone here observed), become guns ready for another lifetime of good service. I have passed on several that my interest in was bird hunting with fine old shotguns but the chokes were gone.
Unread 04-03-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I've heard that Briley won't do it on Damascus barrels.

Have you patterned the gun? I've had a couple or three Damascus guns with cut barrels/no chokes and they performed very well on what I asked them to do. Knowing their limitations is key.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Like Dean said, you may be surprised at what kinds of patterns your gun might throw. I've found that if you shoot slower speeds, (generally) the patterns tighten.

I bought a Parker as part of a lot of two guns a while back. I really wanted the "other" gun, but the second gun seemed okay. When I measured the barrels, it confirmed that the left barrel had been honed (it was Damascus), but to produce a tighter choke (full). It had been "jug choked." The constriction is near .040" The thin points are too thin for me to chance, even though the thin points are pretty close to the muzzle. My point here is that jug choking can put a choke back, but you do lose wall thickness. I've often wondered if whoever did the choking on the gun had tried for less choke, it would have been okay to shoot. I also don't know how much of the honing was to tighten the choke or get rid of pits.

What kind of wall thickness do your have in your barrels? Just curious.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #6
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Keith,
Have you measured the bore 3 or 4 inches back from the muzzle? I once had a cut barrel GH that had been "Jug Choked" and threw Modified patterns that were very consistent.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin J Hawthorne Jr. For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don't own the gun yet, just thinking hard on doing so. I definitely want to hear some hard dimensions on the gun's barrels. It's old enough that a modern choke gauge may be completely wrong. My 1888 10 ga EH will tell you that it's a bit more open than cylinder with a stuff in gauge BUT true bore vs. choke bore on the mic, it's IM and shoots tighter than that on a pattern board. No jug chokes, the old larger 10 ga. bore. True bore .795 or so, MTW .043 anywhere toward the mid and muzzle, very heavy as you go back.
Serial number not in the book but all the guns around it are 30 or 32 inch barrels, this one is 28 inches and owner says he thinks they're cut. Muzzle pics not very good, cannot really tell anything from them.
Not sure about Briley but will be talking to them anyway.
Unread 04-03-2022, 09:22 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,384 Times in 3,073 Posts

My experience with large bore damascus is that they often have quite thick walls. Taking .010" out an .030" wall will give you about a modified choke in a 12 gauge, ans still leave sufficient wall thickness, Back boring isn't for every gun, but careful measuring beforehand may give you confidence.

Damascus steel should be homogeneous enough to perform any 'normal' machining operation.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2022, 09:36 PM   #9
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I can't think of any reason you can't put insert chokes in damascus if the material is there in the walls of the barrel. If the steel's good enough to handle normal operating pressures of the period then you should be able to thread and machine as needed. I think material of the choke tube bears the stress of the constriction of the load for the most part anyway.
Unread 04-03-2022, 09:51 PM   #10
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
I can't think of any reason you can't put insert chokes in damascus if the material is there in the walls of the barrel. If the steel's good enough to handle normal operating pressures of the period then you should be able to thread and machine as needed. I think material of the choke tube bears the stress of the constriction of the load for the most part anyway.
You dont have to convince us just the guy doing the work , Good luck and I mean that in a friendly way .
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote