Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

double doubles
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,547 Times in 503 Posts

Smile double doubles

I was over to a friends house today and he showed me two 410 doubles with one hanging on the wall. It was a American Arms and the other is Bridge Gun Co. Well needless to say I brought both of them home with me.I just have a thing for those small ga. guns.The American gun is for a south paw which is the first one I have come across. I made the mistake of showing it to another friend and now he owns the south paw gun.All in all what a great day. Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (482.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (487.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (485.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (467.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (442.9 KB, 1 views)
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

looks to be twist barrells on that one first twist barrels ive seen on 410... i too like these little guns...maybe i can have a good day soon.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile

Charlie: I thought the same thing about them twist barrels.Have you ever seen a south paw gun in 410 hammer now that has got to be scarce. Don't you have one on the way. Thomas
Unread 12-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

never seen a south paw hammer gunin 410 gota be rare...yep got one on the way but unfortunatly its a single barrel buti got it cheap i just cant pass up a bargain.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I need a little help here. As I look at the picture of the gun from the butt end I would call the cast, "cast off" and it was set up for a right handed shooter. When mounted to the right shoulder the right handed shooter's right eye would line up with the rib and he would not have to bend his head to the right to achieve his sight picture.

Isn't "cast on" bending the stock the other way?

Am I correct?

Thanks gents.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Cast Off - An offset of a gun stock to the right, so that the line of sight aligns comfortably with the right eye while the butt of the stock rests comfortably on the right shoulder. Almost all right-handed shooters benefit from a little castoff and most custom built guns are made this way. The only question is how much. The castoff of a gun is about right when, with the gun comfortably mounted, the front bead lines up with the center of the standing breech. A stock offset to the left, for shooting from the left shoulder is said to be Cast On.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile

The gun in the picture is for a right handed shooter.I purchased two 410 hammers I just didn't post a picture of the left handed gun because a friend bought it before i could get it home. Thanks Thomas
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L. Benson Sr. View Post
The gun in the picture is for a right handed shooter.I purchased two 410 hammers I just didn't post a picture of the left handed gun because a friend bought it before i could get it home. Thanks Thomas
There ya go! I was looking at the left hand gun. It was I, therefore; who was in error. I have an old Model 12 with cast off and it is pretty amazing how much easier it is to sight. Just a little makes a big difference.

I see gun smiths advertising stock bending, but I seldom hear of a fellow actually doing it to his gun.
Unread 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Steve, I have had a couple stocks bent with good success. Cast On or OFF can be adjusted with great success but I had one with a lot of drop and tried to have that adjusted and was told that only very minor changes could be made in that regard.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Steve, I have had a couple stocks bent with good success. Cast On or OFF can be adjusted with great success but I had one with a lot of drop and tried to have that adjusted and was told that only very minor changes could be made in that regard.
That makes sense to me. Seems like the tang would get in the way if one wanted to raise the drop.

I've got an old Superposed that lines up pretty well, but I might put a tad of cast off just for grins. The gunsmiths advertises the first and second bend with a price for each.