Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Chokes for Slugs
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,537 Times in 4,621 Posts

Default Chokes for Slugs

Wondering on what your thoughts are on shooting slugs and what chokes to use.
Can rifled slugs be put through a full choke?
I have a cheap 20g. Sears bolt action that I was thinking about taking deer hunting next weekend. But it has a Full choke on it. I have only put shot through it previously.
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

the old foster style slug was specifically designed to shoot through choked barrels.

the new sabot styles are meant for rifled cylinder barrels

================================================== ======>

an after thought - if the choke is in the last couple inches of that barrel, cutting it down and/or maybe adding a rifled choke tube would allow the more accurate slug style. top it off with sights or a scope. never thought I would say "cut" on the Parker board, but this is likely a Mossberg bolt gun, not much value and this could give it a new life
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The Gun is a Stevens Bolt action with the Sears name on it. I don't want to cut it, so that isn't an option.

Where I am planning on hunting next weekend allows rifle. But nearly everything I own is shotguns and I have not done much deer hunting in the past. The only rifle I own is an old Yugo Mauser 8mm. I am in the process of building a custom Mauser 98 in 30.06. But that is a long way off.

I know it would be a bit ghetto hunting with a WWII era military rifle, but I figured if it works, why not?

I wanted to take the Mauser and my 20g. Bolt to the range this weekend and see which one shot best at 50-75 yards and use that to make my decision on what I was going to hunt with. Whatever I am going to use will have open sights, so I figure not to try at any more than 50-75 yards.

I am not opposed to using one of my 12g. doubles with a Mod. Choke for the slugs. But I just figured that the 20g. Bolt would be better for taking out into the woods. But the Full choke got me thinking, so I posed the question.

My gunsmith said that I ran the chance of bulging the barrel if I did use the full choke. But I wanted to hear from others that might have done it.
Unread 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
My gunsmith said that I ran the chance of bulging the barrel if I did use the full choke. .
Tom? come on he's a rifle guy anyway

the fosters are not the most accurate projectile out there but they are made to fit through a full choke and therefore are smaller then bore size

a 98 in .06? that will be nice.

nothing wrong with a K98, I expect as the rifle zone moves north from the southern tier you will see people starting out with military they plan to sporterize.
Unread 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

dudley ever body has an opion so heres mine...them stevens have very thick barrel s i have a 410 bolt action that ive shot several slugs in i plan on trying to take a deer with it this deer season its full choke...also have a single barrel 20 stevens ive shot a ton of slugs and buckshot through it also full choke...but as was stated cut the barrel install a scope and youve got a long range slug gun... if i wanted to hunt with it like it is i would take it to the range and try it out...that old mauser will streth out and be accurate beyond most peoples ability to hold it still...good luck on the hunt i like the idea of hunting with 2 guns.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You from my area Rick?

Well I will give the slugs a try through the 20g. at the range. Only one way to find out.

The wikipedia Article on Slugs states:
"The actual purpose of the fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile and allow the slug to safely be swaged down when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer and choke wear will be progressively accelerated when fired through any choke gauge tighter than open."

I am thinking that my range trip will end up with me favoring the Mauser anyway. I have done some shooting with it at about 50 yards and it was placing pretty well.

My Yugo Mauser is a 24/47 in 8mm that I originally bought to sporterize, but it is in a bit too nice shape to break it up. Plus, I figured the intermediate action would be more of a headache when it came to parts down the line in the project. So instead, I picked up a Czech 98 in 7mm that had already been "sporterized" (stock just shortened and hand guard removed). That is now my base for the 30.06 conversion.

Charlie,

Yeah, I figured try them both out and see what I think. The land I will be hunting is pretty wooded in most spots. So a shot beyond 50-75 yards will most likely not be had. But there are a couple more open areas. What I had hoped to have happen was get both of the guns hitting pretty well, bring them both and then make my decision on which to use after I figure out where I will be set up.
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,274 Times in 2,427 Posts

Brian,
The county I've hunted in since I've been 12 only allows shotguns and at that time fully rifled barrels were not in existence. If you have the time to pattern your gun you will find that an I/C or skeet choke will give you the best accuracy with Foster type slugs. They don't like to be constricted and if you can find them Brenneke slugs work very well in smoothbore barrels. Good Luck.
Daryl
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Brian is likely on stand cussing the wind and warmth right now. Season is a couple hours old here and I have not heard a shot yet around our house, but you would need to be close to be heard over the wind.
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Im not going out till next weekend. Have heard a few shots around my house. But very late in the day. At least I didn't hear any multiple shots, hate to hear that.
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

"De-ghettoized" Eddystone 1917 WWI rifle in 30.06 3-9x scope. Many animals to its credit. Three memorable shots. All running.

Dad - coyote 400 yards (skill)
Dad - elk 500 yards (skill)
Jack - antelope 700 yards (BS luck)

many many whitetail and mulies 50-150 yards Also many de-capitated blue and spruce grouse.

My preferences

Shotgun = birds
Rifle = big game