Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Southern Illinois.....
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

Default Southern Illinois.....

Made the drive down to my home area to hunt the opening two days of duck season with my Father and some friends. We are usually invited to hunt on our friends farm and this year was no exception. Strong numbers of ducks on his pond, more big ducks that I've ever seen there. Lots of mallards and widgeon with a few grey ducks mixed in. The wind blew a gale both days and was wrong for the blinds so it was sort of pass shooting most of the time but we still managed to kill 16 for five guns the first morning. Second morning the wind blew even harder and kept us off the big pond altogether so we moved operations to the wetland. It had just gotten flooded that week so only had a few ducks using it but three of us managed to kill our wood duck limits plus a couple mallards. Good to be out hunting with those boys again, particularly Dad. Might be back again for Thanksgiving, just have to see how work is going before I can say for sure.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Good for you Destry. You're getting a lot of ducks this fall. Hope you have a good freezer. I roasted a big fat canvasback last night. It was excellent. I didn't leave the ravens much on that carcass...they didn't even pick it up today!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

If this keeps up I'm going to have a record season, my notes show 70 as of this weekend.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice going destrey... nothing like hunting with dad... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
greenhornet
Forum Associate

Member Info

nice shooting
jerrybucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Brad Boyer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Destry, always enjoy reading about your hunting adventures, especially those in Southern Illinois!! Good shooting,
Brad Boyer
Brad Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Is Olive Branch considered southern Ill.? Is the Goose Pit still there? My Dad and I were there in 1975. The picture of the birds on ground was taken just back of the Goose Pit.
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-17-2011 11;11;17AM.jpg (57.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 11-17-2011 11;18;30AM.jpg (93.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 11-17-2011 11;14;37AM.jpg (25.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg dad3.jpg (91.0 KB, 1 views)
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The natives consider anything roughly south of I-64 to be "Southern Illinois", all this stems from that part of the state trying to succeed from the Union during the war. Olive Branch is Southern Illinois for sure, and I've eaten at the Goose Pit myself in years past. I don't believe it's there anymore, a lot of the goose hunting down there has fallen off so many of the spots we all remember have closed. Seems like I heard it had burned down and they never rebuilt.

Destry

P.S. Is that a business card in the last pic? I collect stuff like that from Southern Illinois so am always curious.
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Too bad about the Goose Pit. They had good cheeseburgers. Yes, it is a business card. I have two, give me an address and I'll send you one.
James
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Great! Thanks a bunch. I sent it via PM.

Destry